Nowa Nowa to White Bridges - High Country Victoria - CycleBlaze

Nowa Nowa to White Bridges

21-27 January 2023

Bruthen - small general store, takeaway/coffee shop, pub with accommodation, brewery (for sale), good bakery, post office, antiques, visitor info centre, honey shop that sells other local goods and has small cafe.  Caravan park is cheap and has clean but old amenities block, great camp kitchen and shelter area with open fire - can also charge phone in there (was invited to do so by caretaker). 

Nicholson - some caravan parks nearby and supposedly a takeaway shop - will have to ride off the rail trail to get there.

Bairnsdale - all services. Lots of cafes and takeaways.  2 bike shops. ALDI, Coles and Woolies. Two laundromats. Reject Shop and Cheap as Chips dollar stores. K-hub. Train from here goes to Melbourne. Numerous motels. Showgrounds currently does not have camping. Caravan park in town is crappy - right on main highway, unpowered sites all in the sun and there is no security - people on footpath can easily walk in and bike path goes right through the park. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Lindenow - public toilets and a newsagent/takeaway/general store.

You can do a loop out of Bairnsdale like I did, but you need to be completely self-sufficient and have a way to treat water. No services. Only camping areas with drop  toilets and picnic tables are at Marthavale Hut and Deptford. Many informal sites and lots of places you can wander off into the bush to camp, though this area has been impacted by the 19/20 fires and regrowth is very thick in some places. Have to drop off the ridges where the main logging roads run to source water.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 209 km (130 miles)
Total: 731 km (454 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0