Waverly to Dover: After the storm - Underground Railroad Route (Southern Half) - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2010

Waverly to Dover: After the storm

We passed many broken trees and debris on the roads. There were signs of high water and saw one home with downed power lines. The day turned cool and cloudy but the rain held off until we were within 1/2 mile of our motel.

We had lunch at "Linda Lou's". She just opened three weeks ago and is hoping that business will pick up.

We toured Fort Donelson National Battlefield, the site of the first Union victory in the Civil War.

Union gunboats fired on this site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The park brochure indicated bald eagles were nesting in the park and we did see an eagle fly into the nest in this picture. I know you can't actually see the eagle very well here, but you'll have to take my word that this is a picture of an eagle in a nest, not just a closeup of a squirrel nest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In town, we visited the Dover Hotel, the site where General Grant accepted the Confederate surrender. It was a sobering feeling to stand on the same hotel porch where Grant stood looking out over the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our motel is on the Cumberland River, but like the park, is up on a hill. Here we are actually looking out over a backwater area of the river. You can see how brown and swollen it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have had a good number of hills and Rhona is feeling it in her knees. She may be a little low on her blood supply, but may have discovered the cause of her problem when she woke in the morning with a tick attached near her navel. She was excited because she purchased two Sonya apples which were excellent.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 625 miles (1,006 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0