Leaving Mobile - Underground Railroad Route (Southern Half) - CycleBlaze

April 14, 2010

Leaving Mobile

We packed the tandem and got ready to leave. One of the employees agreed to take our picture.

Note that too much gear is packed high and to the rear.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As usual, we got lost at the very beginning, which was the location of the slave market in Mobile.

Small plaque on a post, we were expecting a little more at the location of what was once one of the busiest slave markets in America.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In spite of our extensive experience with Adventure Cycling maps, our GPS and reports from the Weingarners that they got lost at the beginning, we ended up exploring several Mobile streets trying to get out of town, some of them multiple times. We also missed a turn up onto a bridge which resulted in us traveling in an industrial area along railroad tracks. Not for the last time, we attracted curious stares.

View from bridge overlooking the industrial area we explored while lost.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rhona commented about the courteous drivers, most moving over to give us room while passing. It was quite warm with rolling hills once we got out of Mobile proper. We passed a prison work crew cutting brush while toiling up one hill. The music to "Cool Hand Luke" was playing in my head.

We passed a park which included the USS Alabama battleship as well as fighter planes and tanks, but did not want to take the time or pay the admission cost to enter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We visited Historic Blakeley State Park, reportedly the site of the last battle of the Civil War. There was an admission fee, and some of the roads were very soft sand. For some reason the fee for two bicyclists was more than the cost would have been if we arrived in a car together.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhona pointing back across the bay toward Mobile where we started the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch at the Blakeley Cafe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After hearing about a 15 ft. 700 lb. alligator reputed to still be in the water, we had a better understanding why we were the only people sleeping in a backpacker's tent on the ground. Still, the showers were hot and the people were friendly.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 56 miles (90 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0