Driving to Mobile - Underground Railroad Route (Southern Half) - CycleBlaze

April 13, 2010

Driving to Mobile

Mike Weingarten suggested I contact Bishops Bicycle Shop prior to the trip to see if I could park our car in their lot during the four week tour and they readily agreed. We arrived at Bishop's Bicycle Shop http://www.bishopsbicycles.net/ with a bottle of a local wine from our area, before they opened in the morning. I found a place to hide the bottle and parked the car. Considering the modest size of the parking lot, I thought their willingness to give up a spot for a long distance cyclist was remarkable, but they commented they "were bicycle tourists too".*

We then started the long drive to Mobile, arriving at the Mobile Bay Adventure Inn after dark. We had made arrangements to leave our Dakota truck there for the month, paying a $40 fee to do so.

Mobile Adventure Bay Inn. Although we paid $40 to park the truck for the next month, when I returned, there was a note on the windshield threatening to tow the vehicle. Actually, the employees we met there were friendly and helpful.
Heart 0 Comment 0

* At the end of the tour, we stopped in and visited the folks at Bishops who proved to be very friendly, insisting that we write an entry into their guestbook. They have been in business for 117 years and it looked like a great place to shop and visit, but they were very busy that day and I didn't want to take up their time. Bishop's is definitely worth visiting!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0