Orangeville to Collingwood: Tilting (toward) windmills - Underground Railroad Route (Northern Half) - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2011

Orangeville to Collingwood: Tilting (toward) windmills

The weather was cloudy and windy (headwind and quartering wind mostly) throughout the day, but we dodged the rain. We had several dirt roads which slowed us down a little.

We traveled through an area with many wind turbines. In our home area wind turbines are currently being constructed with some controversy regarding vista degradation and environmental impact. Here, the turbines were located in fields with crops planted near to the towers and in other places cattle grazing nearby. I had just noted to myself the apparent lack of opposition to this green energy source here in Canada when we came across a sign "Stop wind turbines!"
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met another snapping turtle in the middle of the road. I declined to pick it up to put it to the side of the road. I think the Adventure Cyclist practice of helping turtles across the road is really focused more on innocent helpless box turtles, not a turtle that had fungus/bacteria forests growing on the top of her shell. This gal looked like she could easly take a bite out of any car tire that got too close to her. My final reason/excuse was that I really wasn't sure which direction she wanted to go. Far be it for me to return her to the left side of the road, when she was working hard to get to the right side. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We coasted down a long beautiful Pretty River Road to the outskirts of Collingwood. We contacted Rhona's Uncle and Aunt to make arrangements for them to meet us Saturday in Owen Sound. The trip is coming to an end.

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 1,101 miles (1,772 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0