Dundas to Orangeville: I'll bet it's pretty around here - Underground Railroad Route (Northern Half) - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2011

Dundas to Orangeville: I'll bet it's pretty around here

It was foggy and damp all day, but never more than sprinkles. We were on two different trails today, one which was not paved and so we were filthy.

We hit 1,000 miles after lunch. It may or maynot have been a picturesque spot, we couldn't tell because of the fog.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We climbed some long West Virginia type hills in the afternoon. A road sign prior to one provincial park said "Severe turns and grades. Not suitable for trucks or buses". In the park an Ontario Forests/Parks Service truck going the opposite direction turned it's emergency lights on, stopping us. I had a fleeting thought that the long length of our rig was going to be a problem, but it turned out that a snapping turtle was crossing from the nearby stream and in the road. One of them picked the turtle up and rolled it down the steep bank toward the stream. The other guy looked at me, probably embarassed by his partner's lack of care in returning the turtle to safety. Apparently, the turtles find the gravel at the side of the road to be suitable for digging nests for their eggs.

This tube was snaked around the posts of the guardrail between the road and the stream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closer look revealed gravel and stones inside. Later, halfway up a hill too steep for us to want to stop on, we saw other tubes which were older and through which vegetation had grown up through. An interesting way to try to keep roadwater runoff from entering a stream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rest of the climb up to Orangeville was foggy with only a minimal shoulder and heavy traffic. As usual, Canadian drivers were courteous. We checked into The Atlanta Motel, a family owned motel which was undergoing renovations. The owner, although busy working on some rooms hooked up a hose so that we could clean the bike off and gave me some drying rags. I went through a couple pairs of gloves getting the dirt off. The room itself was clean and roomy. Later that night, when walking back to the motel we happened to hear a comment from a couple walking the other direction wondering "who would ever stay in there...". I don't know what the motel was like previously, but the new owners treated us wonderfully and are working to improve it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 1,041 miles (1,675 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0