Day 90 - In Bismarck - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2021

Day 90 - In Bismarck

Heart 1 Comment 0

We took a short ride to the  state capitol complex uptown and visited the North Dakota Heritage Center.  It was one of the best museums of this tour.  Our best decision at the museum was to stop first in the cafe for a light lunch.  There we had the pleasure of meeting Amelia and Isabel.  Isabel was so taken with the idea of our trip, I think with a little encouragement she would have just come with us!

Amelia and Isabel - it was so nice to meet you both.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we ate, we went exploring the history of North Dakota.  It was divided into three galleries that covered geologic time, early peoples and Euro-American settlers to the present time.  There is also the Governors Gallery, which had rotating exhibits.  The current one is "Fashion: Form and Function" and is a fun display of all types of North Dakota clothing.  We went there first.  There was everything from ball gowns to HAZMAT suits.

North Dakotans have to keep warm. There were fur coats, boots and gloves.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was interesting that they included workers' protective clothing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I don't think we've ever seen modern Native American clothing on display.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There was the whole gallery full of other clothing displays, but I'll just put two more - outfits of two famous North Dakotans.

Lawrence Welk
Heart 1 Comment 0
Peggy Lee
Heart 1 Comment 0

The geologic time gallery had lots of fossils, both land and from the area's time underwater.  To go with the small real fossil bones and teeth, there were model casts of entire skeletons.  The dinosaurs were very popular.

This is the famous T Rex.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerThanks for sharing those photos. Made my day.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This is called a "Ruler Turtle".
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is an actual 50,000 year old bison skull
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry found this geologic display interesting. Kerry here... I did. If you zoom in you can read the detail. Notice how deep the Bakken formation is. FUN FACT: The Bakken Formation is named after Henry Bakken, a farmer in Tioga, ND who owned the land where the formation was initially discovered while drilling for oil.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We enjoyed seeing the other galleries, but I didn't find much new or different to photograph.  In the "War and Conflict" section of the modern gallery, I found a couple of new things.  

This is a replica of a 60's home fallout shelter. I remember having air raid drills at school. We didn't know anyone who had a fallout shelter at their house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An underground missile launch center. Such a place is still active In Minot, ND according to the posted information.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're moving on eastward tomorrow, less than 50 miles this time.  Maybe we'll arrive there in under nine hours!

Today's ride: 4 miles (6 km)
Total: 3,400 miles (5,472 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerLove all your pictures.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensAre you following The Obriens Metal Hip journal? They are a day behind you, heading to bismark tomorrow
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago