Day 74 - Kaycee to Buffalo - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2021

Day 74 - Kaycee to Buffalo

A much better day!

So, today we had perfect weather, a tailwind and the last day with our old friend I-25.   We did not have any towns or stores on our 45 mile route, but we are getting used to roadside rests.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at the Kaycee General Store before we got on the road.  We had a light breakfast and talked with several people.  One guy, Chuck, is a local hunting and fishing guide and had some good stories.  He said the reason we have seen so few pronghorn antelope is that the population has decreased by 75% due to a disease called EHD.  It affects both deer and antelope and has been especially severe this year.  Chuck also said he had seen us heading to the interstate from that awful road yesterday and wondered what we would do when we got to the construction.  So we had to tell him the short version of that story.  He let us know that there was no construction all the way to Buffalo.  Good news!

Thanks for the ride, I-25
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just outside Kaycee we saw this horse facility. The sun made too much shadow for the horses to show up in the stable, but there were a lot of them there. It's a pretty picture anyway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another western scene
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Bighorn Mountains are to the west of us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw some snow capped mountains.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here is the largest group of pronghorns we have seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As I noted at the beginning, this was a day without rest stops.  We pulled into a parking area, which had a few vehicles there already.  There were no facilities, of course, and I just could not "go" in full view of all these people.  This couple was getting out of their RV and Kerry asked them if I could use their bathroom.  I don't think I could have asked myself, but Kerry is never bashful.  They were kind and said yes and I appreciated it so much.  We talked for a while and learned that they are Jo and Alan from Rainier, Oregon.   Alan has recently retired.  They have been traveling for a few  months and are now on their way home.  

Jo and Alan - you are my road angels for today. Thank you!!
Heart 2 Comment 0

About fifteen miles later, we took another break for snacks and water and to rest our feet.  We are both bothered by hot foot when pushing the pedals hard to climb the long grades.   As we were having our snacks, a car pulled over and the driver got out.  It was Debbie, a woman from the Kaycee General Store we had talked to in the morning.  She recognized us and stopped to see if we were OK or needed anything.  Her kindness in stopping to check on us makes her our second road angel of the day.

Debbie from the Kaycee General Store. We appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A section of the highway near Buffalo had red pavement.

Kerry here with another FUN FACT.. I believe they used clinker on this section of highway. The clinker was formed when natually occuring coal fires in the region superheated and fused the overlying sediment of the coal beds millions of years ago. You can Google "powder river basin clinker" to read all about it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We averaged an blazing 10.8 mph today and, without a lunch stop, made it to Buffalo in less than five hours.  After our last two rides at 8+ mph, it felt like flying!

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 2,833 miles (4,559 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0