Day 72 - Douglas to Casper - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2021

Day 72 - Douglas to Casper

Heart 2 Comment 0

I take back every word of complaining about headwinds I've done in the past.  They were a breeze in the face.  Today we had HEADWINDS!  The forecast called for 20-30 mph winds with gusts up to 40 mph.  I'm sure it was every bit of  that.  Kerry had to work hard to keep the bike upright.  I found it pretty scary when the wind was really strong.  We pedaled hard even going downhill.  The good part was the strong headwinds were there for "only" 25 of our 50 miles.  Most of the climbing was before the winds kicked up, so that was something else to be grateful for.  Today we are very happy just to be in our hotel safe and sound and out of the wind!

When we left Douglas this morning, we were on I-25 for 21 miles.  A low volume interstate is not a bad cycling road.  It is nice not to have to watch for turning vehicles and intersections.  

Image not found :(
Good road for cycling on a Saturday morning
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerOutstanding view!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
80 mph here was much less concerning to us than those 70 mph two lane rural roads in Texas.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Douglas, we saw a giant jackalope watching over the town.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rose SamsonI like this picture, it is so cool just looking at the tranquil beauty, with
the jackalope guarding the town. He or she likes to watch who are
passing by!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithKerry here...
Hi Rose. The views out here are amazing, and travelling so slowly by bike really lets us enjoy them and catch details that we would miss if travelling by car.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Nice morning for hanging out outside
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonOh Man, they are just good to see if you are doing a morning walk!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
View from the interstate
Heart 0 Comment 0
We finally spotted a pronghorn antelope
Heart 2 Comment 1
Soon afterwards we spotted some more.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Half way through the ride, we completed most of the climbing and were looking forward to an easier ride for the second half.  We stopped in the little town of Glenrock.

Glenrock building
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another old Glenrock building
Heart 1 Comment 0

Glenrock has two museums.  One was a privately owned "fossil and dinosaur" museum.  A quick look inside the single room made us decide it wasn't worth our time.  We went on the Deer Creek Museum, where we had the pleasure of meeting Sandy.

Sandy, museum board member, treasurer and Saturday volunteer. We had fun talking with her.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a small museum with local artifacts and historical cords.  Glenrock was on the Oregon and Mormon Trails and a stop on the Pony Express line.  In later times, the main business of Glenrock have been oil wells and coal mines.

We loved the first sentence of this document. Was it by design or did the writer need all four directional adjectives?
Heart 2 Comment 0
An old oil well jack pump - the first one we've seen in a museum
Heart 1 Comment 0
This log cabin was the home of a local resident's parents. It was moved here to be restored and furnished with many of the original furnishings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is my unknown object of the day. (I didn't ask Kerry, because he would know, then I couldn't call it unknown.)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry really liked the bathroom wallpaper.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just outside town is the "Rock in the Glen" for which the town was named.  It was a landmark on the emigrant trails.

Heart 1 Comment 0

As soon as we left Glenrock, the strong winds started.  I didn't take many more pictures.  I needed both hands to hold on to the bike!

A lull in the wind allowed me to get the remains of this cool old railroad trestle.
Heart 1 Comment 0

About twelve miles past Glenrock, we saw this place on the side of the road.  We were so tired, we would have stopped anywhere!

A Wyoming saloon
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were no other customers. The owner had three dogs and two cats to keep her company. The place reeked of cigarette smoke and she was adding to the aroma while we were in there. All the canned soft drinks we checked were long out of date (the Diet Coke Kerry checked was dated 2018!). Kerry ordered a beer and drank about half of it.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerWow, that is amazing! Worth the stop though!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerYup, ALWAYs check the expiration date in these type of places!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Playing with the animals was the best part of the visit - no, that's wrong - resting out of the wind was the best part!! But it was fun playing with the dogs and this one cat who had to get between you and the dog you were trying to pet.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We finally made it to Casper.  I had an image of Casper being a western cowboy and outdoor recreation type of place.  I was surprised to see this big oil refinery.

Sinclair refinery
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. Spanglerhaven't seen the green dinosaur for a long, long time!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerIn Wyoming, it seems that most of the small town C-Stores have the dinosaur. We see very few Exxons or Chevrons and just a few Shells. This is probably because both of Sinclair's refineries are located in WY
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

So, we'll rest up tonight and be ready for our long 72 mile ride tomorrow.  The good news is that the forecast is for only a 15 mph headwind:)

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 2,715 miles (4,369 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerJeanna and Kerry,

What do you think is the proper amount of zero (rest) days on a long trip like this? What are the primary goals for this time off the bike? Thanks, Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerKeith,
We try to schedule a rest day every 4 to 6 days. The goal is to have a nice hotel with restaurants nearby and an attration to visit. (On travel days we can put up with most any motel, but on our off days we like to be comfortable!) We generally will visit the attraction in the morning and then just "chill" the rest of the day - the older we get the less ambitious we are on our days off!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago