Day 7 - Starke to Lake City - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

April 15, 2021

Day 7 - Starke to Lake City

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's route was short, only 42 miles.  There wasn't much to see or do along the way.  Rain was expected between 2 and 3, so we left early enough to get in before that.  It was overcast and much cooler than yesterday.

Most of our route was on SR 100.  It has a good surface and a nice shoulder.  Where there were rumble strips, they were properly placed on the left edge of the shoulder.

SR 100 is a good cycling road.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The scenery along SR 100 between Starke and Lake City is not as nice as the roadway itself.

Living accommodations like this were common.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were many decaying structures.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a modern house behind there. Maybe the owners left them up for their historical value.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Home and business together
Heart 2 Comment 0

So, not much to look at, but I did think this made a good picture.  A truly overgrown house!

Heart 6 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerGood place for an overnight right.....
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Coming into Lake Butler, there was a lighted sign saying "Detour Ahead  Road Closed".  That is something we, and I expect all touring cyclists, hate to see.  We were lucky again, when the road closed turned out to be a side road, not SR 100.  The first sign was very misleading, but we weren't complaining.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Near Lake City, we passed this.  It looked to us like a controlled burn - maybe to clear out the underbrush?  Any of our readers know anything about forest management?

It appeared as if the burn were only on the ground
Heart 2 Comment 2
Ken GassIt is a prior controlled burn. Pines tolerate them well, even speeding up their cone formation. We have ridden through active burn areas, once with you in N. Florida in Feb. 2019 and again in central Oregon in Sept. 2019. We wore bandana masks through the smoke of the latter burn.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Ken GassThanks for your comment. I knew someone would enlighten us!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

This very kind man overheard Kerry asking a clerk in a convenience store for something and being directed to some place a mile away.  When Kerry started to walk across the street to find what we wanted, this guy, Al, came out of the store and told me he'd be happy to drive Kerry where ever he needed go to get what he was looking for.  I thanked him sincerely, but told him Kerry was only searching for a large bottle of Diet Coke.  Al thought we might need bike parts and wanted to let us know he would be happy to help.  Even though he didn't do anything for us, his offer was so kind and generous,  I had to put him in the journal.

Al - a road angel in spirit
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 303 miles (488 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0