Day 58 - McCook to Imperial - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2021

Day 58 - McCook to Imperial

It was a nice ride today, but we were tired when we got in.  The high temperature was over 90.  It was almost like riding at home in the summer!

We got on the road about 8:30.  Earlier would have helped with the heat, but we just have a hard time with early starts.  

A Nebraska morning view
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw the tractor cutting hay in this field. The cut rows are still very green.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We must have been riding through Frenchman Valley today.  The Frenchman Valley Co-Op had many facilities that we saw.

This building is different from the grain elevators, but it still seems to be grain storage.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We also crossed Frenchman Creek at least three times.

Today's long route had four places to stop.  It was a nice change after all the no stop rides we've had lately.  When we got to the first store in Culbertson, the man behind the counter was not very nice when he informed us they had no restroom.  We didn't really believe him, but he certainly didn't want his customers to use whatever facilities he had.  We were sorry we had already purchased a fountain drink.

We did much better at the second town.  This is Palisade.  It's little business district was as least half unoccupied, but there was a wonderful small market.

Palisade, NE
Heart 3 Comment 0
Parking the bike next to the town mural
Heart 3 Comment 1
Maureen Hop#sodtownsundries
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Maureen was working at the store. She was warm and friendly - and let us use her restroom. We had some drinks and snacks at the table outside. The man with her in the picture is Brian. He is a local farmer who passed us earlier in the morning in McCook. He commented on the excellent visibility of our flashing tail lights. That was good to hear.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Maureen HopThank you so much for the wonderful share about #sodtownsundries! I am so glad that I got to meet you both and will follow your journey! Travel safely!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Maureen HopWe really enjoyed our brief visit to Palisade and it was a pleasure meeting you.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This yard was attractive with all the old farm implements.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kerry here... As we were entering Wauneta all of this farm equipment appeared to be for sale, but there were no signs telling who the dealer was, nor was there a building in sight. I guess the locals just know.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cycling in a new time zone!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our third stop was at a convenience store in Wauneta. (Wauneta is pronounced like "Juanita".) We met Jana and RJ there and had a great time talking with them. Happy Birthday, RJ!
Heart 3 Comment 0

After Wauneta, it was only 20 miles to Imperial.  The grade was a slight uphill the whole way, but a tailwind helped and it was a pretty easy ride.

What am I seeing ahead on top of these old tanks?
Heart 2 Comment 0
How did they get that car up there?
Heart 3 Comment 0
A large stoage facility on the outskirts of Imperial.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And an even larger one right next door.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Nebraska, Kansas & Colorado Railway shortline operates in this area. This locomotive is from its parent company, OmniTRAX (Reporting Mark OMLX).
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Northside Motel does not make a very attractive image to look at, so here is a picture of a pretty church we passed on the main street on the way to the motel.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerI saw the motel. Did it at least have a bathroom? I'm betting, no WiFi.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike ObermeyerIt wasn't too bad. It did have WIFI and seemed clean. It was
OK for one night, but we're happy to be back in a comfy Cobblestone Inn tonight.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We are in an old roadside motel tonight that is barely adequate, but not much more.  It will be very nice to get to the Cobblestone Inn tomorrow.  

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 2,327 miles (3,745 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jenny SmithGood morning! You are in my daughter's country - Actually just 30 min south of their house! Good to see you are over 1/3 done with your journey! Keep cool (if you can😎) and safe traveling!
Jenny Smith from Crooked Creek Bed & Breakfast, Montezuma KS
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Jenny SmithGood to hear from you Jenny. Thanks for your note. Our Monte friends have been so nice to keep in touch. This is beautiful country up here. Your daughter must love it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago