Day 53 - Garden City to Scott City - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2021

Day 53 - Garden City to Scott City

A Windy Day

Heart 2 Comment 0

It was another gray and chilly day, but this time we also had a 15 mph headwind all day.  It wasn't awful, but we were awfully glad when it was done!

The day started with our meeting two very nice people at the hotel.  Keith and Jarolyn were a couple on their honeymoon who stopped to talk about the bike and our trip.  Kerry even got Jarolyn to take a short ride with him.  In talking about our route, we discovered that Keith had stayed at the AirBNB in Leedey, OK where we had a not so comfortable night a couple of weeks ago.  His opinion of the place was about the same as ours.  He said he was there for work and it was the only place available.  Keith and Jarolyn, if you are reading this, congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy marriage!

We are in the land of feed lots. We passed several more today. I'm not sure how eating beef keeps one slim, but that's what it says.
Heart 2 Comment 0

When were riding with Kara the other day, she was talking about the old ditch irrigation farmers used before the overhead irrigation systems were developed.  We saw some remnants of that today.

These concrete gates were manually opened and closed to control the amount of water let into the field from the irrigation canal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These gates were used to channel water through the canals.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This canal across the road has some water in it from yesterday's rainfall.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This is a grain we saw many fields of today.  It was cold and windy, so we didn't stop to get a closer picture.  It seemed taller than wheat.

Lots of this growing where we traveled today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hay balers for round bales.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another poor picture, but this is a field of alfalfa.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The only stops we had today were along the road.  There was not a single store between Garden City and Scott City.

Seavo at rest by a corn field.
Heart 4 Comment 4
Van EdmondsonI don't remember a yellow bike.
Did you buy another bike just for this trip?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Francie GassYikes. Hope there were bushes for some privacy.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Van EdmondsonThis is the bike we've had for the last three summers. It is very yellow!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Francie GassNo, no trees, no bushes, no privacy - the sacrifices we make for bike travel.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This was a big field with very long rows. it went o for as far as we could see.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We got to Scott City a little after two and went straight to Wendy's for lunch.  Then we came back to our room and turned on the heat.  It is warm and cozy in here now and we may have to really force ourselves outside in the morning.

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 2,121 miles (3,413 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0