Day 42 - In Clinton - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2021

Day 42 - In Clinton

We walked over to the Route 66 museum this afternoon.  It was more cultural than historical (the large exhibit at the front featured a 1970 Ford Mustang), but we enjoyed looking around.

Heart 3 Comment 0

The route of Route 66

Heart 4 Comment 0

And some history

Heart 3 Comment 0

Increasing miles of paved highway and more cars on the road lead to more new things.  

Filling stations
Heart 1 Comment 0
Over the road trucking
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Highway Patrol
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hitchhiking
Heart 1 Comment 0

More cars meant more need for parking, which presented a problem in many cities.  The parking meter was invented in Oklahoma City and the first one installed there in July, 1935.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Carl Magee, credited with the invention of the parking meter
Heart 1 Comment 0
Parking meters in Oklahoma City
Heart 1 Comment 0
Early parking meter
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the 1940's section, we learned something new.

Neither of us was aware that the national speed limit was lowered during WWII to save rubber.
Heart 2 Comment 0

In the 50's area, there were the usual diner/jukebox/carhop displays.  I did find this table top with diner lingo fun to read.

Heart 1 Comment 0

And, also in the 1950's, a 70 y/o man (gasp!) rode his bicycle all the way from Chicago to California.  Imagine that!

(The original is a bit blurry - not my fault this time)
Heart 3 Comment 2
Ken GassHey, I represent the at remark! I also can't imagine how bad the Rte 66 shoulder was, if any.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Ken Gass I actually had you in mind when I wrote that comment. I think that even today there are people who would think it newsworthy that a 70 y/o person - even a woman! - would ride a bicycle t hat far.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

As a transition from decade to decade, the entry into each exhibit room was covered with newspaper from the time.  Walking into the 1960's, I was walking into my youth.

Heart 1 Comment 0

This was not part of my youth, but, given the choice, I definitely would have picked it over the red Mustang in the front.

Heart 4 Comment 4
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerI know, isn't it great?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Michael and Diane RuddockA really educational and entertaining collection of memories.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Michael and Diane RuddockDid you have a hippie van???
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

And then, in the 60's and 70's, the growing interstate system put an end to route 66, but not the rose colored nostalgia so many people have for it.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerLoved all the history. It brought back so many memories.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike ObermeyerThose 60's newspaper headlines really brought back memories for me.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago