Day 4 - High Springs to St. Augustine - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

April 12, 2021

Day 4 - High Springs to St. Augustine

Century day

Heart 1 Comment 0

This is the first time we've ridden a century on tour.  We wanted to be able to have the free day in St. Augustine we has planned, so we would have to do two day's ride in one day.   It was long, but not really hard, just tiring.  The day was beautiful, blue skies and sunshine.

The ride from High Springs to the outskirts of Gainesville was nice.  We were on low traffic, rural roads most of the way.

Road on the way to Gainesville
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pastoral scene
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was a cattle ranch
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some of the residents enjoying a sunny morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We then rode 10 miles or so through the suburban sprawl of Gainesville before reaching more small towns and the start of the Palatka-Lake Butler Trail.

We stopped for lunch at Subway in Melrose and met these guys.  Doug was just full of enthusiasm for a trip.  It was a lot of fun talking to him and meeting them both.

Jeff and Doug - great meeting you guys!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Just past Melrose, we got on the Palatka-Lake Butler Trail.  It's a rail trail that took us just to the outskirts of Palatka.  There is a gap there, the then trail continues to St. Augustine as the Palatka-St. Augustine Trail.  It was nice to be on a relaxing trail for the second part of our long day.

The Palatka-Lake Butler Tral
Heart 3 Comment 0

Just after we got on the trail, we saw a couple on a RANS Screamer.  We had to stop and talk to them, of course.  We don't encounter many other recumbent tandems!

DJ and Nansea on the Screamer
Heart 6 Comment 2
David JonesHot Stoker!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Nansea MarkhamTo David JonesSuper fun day!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
On down the trail, Kerry had to stop and do a little trail clearing so we could pass.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The trail has a gap at the town of Palatka.  At this point, we had ridden 70 miles and it was 2:30.  We decided that 30 more miles was definitely doable, so after a little break, we rode across town to the Palatka-St. Augustine Trail.  It goes through the towns of Hastings and Spud - Florida's potato capitol.

A field of potatoes
Heart 2 Comment 0
Office in Hastings
Heart 2 Comment 0

We got to St. Augustine about 5:45 and after a shower and short rest, met my brother and sister-in-law for dinner.  It was a long, happy day and tomorrow is a rest day in St. Augustine.

Today's ride: 102 miles (164 km)
Total: 199 miles (320 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Francie GassSmart!! Sleep well!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Alain AbbateCongrats on getting back on schedule by putting in all those miles. I feel a little bit responsible for your rain delay - we hadn't had rain here in over a month and I was doing a rain dance.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
David JonesHi fellow Bent Heads, Dave Jones here. We met on the Lake Butler- Palatka trail yesterday. Nansea and I were on the Screamer. Sooo envious, wish we were going with! Ride On and Happy Trails!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateI'm impressed with your powers!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo David JonesThank you. We would love to run into you on the road somewhere in the future!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Curt & Helene ReedWow! Congratulations on putting in all those miles and still meet family for dinner.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedMy brother is a very laid back guy - slow talking and slow moving. For once, he and I were operating at the same speed!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerCongrats on the century touring day.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago