Day 35 - Hillsboro to Cleburne - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2021

Day 35 - Hillsboro to Cleburne

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was fun.  We started and ended with interesting museums.  It was warmer than yesterday and we even had a little sunshine.

Our first stop today was at a museum in Hillsboro called "Roadside America".  It has no connection with the Roadside America travel books and site.  This is the collection of one man, Carroll Estes, who gives visitors a personal tour of his treasures.  He started with items from an old soft drink company, Grapette.

Heart 1 Comment 0

He also has a large collection of advertising statues.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerGreat pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

And I especially enjoyed seeing Theodore, Alvin and Simon.  I always loved the Chipmunks.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Here's a display of some automotive products.

Heart 2 Comment 0

After we looked around inside, Carroll took us to his garage to see some of the many cars he has restored.  Enjoy the pictures, I don't remember what he told us about the years and models of the cars.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNow that is beauty!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

I do remember this one - a 1929 Pontiac.  I think it is one of his favorites.

Heart 2 Comment 0

And this one had a for sale sign on it, in case anyone wants to spiff up their garage.

Heart 4 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerNice collection. I remember most of them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After we left the museum, we were back on cycle friendly TX 171 all the way to Cleburne.

TX 171 - good shoulders and not busy
Heart 2 Comment 0

The daily cows...

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

And more corn

Heart 1 Comment 0

And the grain I called wheat, but a knowledgeable friend said from the close up view of the spike, it was barley.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We took a lunch break at a convenience store in Covington.  The food was fair, but the company was great.  We had so much fun talking to two guys at the next table.  I'm sorry that I didn't get their names, but they were memorable!

I almost missed this tandem as we pedaled by.

Heart 1 Comment 0

In Cleburne, we visited the Layland Museum.  It is housed in a Carnegie Library, built in 1905.  It served as a library for the community until the late 1970's.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

All of the woodwork in the building is original.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

This Carnegie Library has an uncommon feature.  On the second floor is an auditorium.  The director told us that Mr. Carnegie wanted to provide auditoriums for small towns that might not have any such facilities, but that feature was only a part of his libraries for two or three years.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

This announcement is from between 1905 and 1910.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Downstairs is the Layland Museum, named for a local businessman, traveler and collector.  There were various exhibits with some fossils, some Native American artifacts, some artifacts from settlers in Texas in the 19th century and then there was a larger section about life in central Texas in the 20th century.  Do you remember much about the 20th century?

The thing we most enjoyed seeing was this bicycle.  We didn't see any information about it posted but, thanks to Wikipedia, we learned that is an American Star Bicycle.   The small wheel for steering is in the front.  Instead of a crank, the bike has a pair of independent treadles. Power was transferred to the rear wheel by a leather strap that was attached to a ratchet mechanism.   

An American Star Bicycle from the 1880's
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Kerry here ...

Cleburne is also home to the Cleburne Railroad Museum.  Unfortunately, we did not get to visit it because it is closed for renovations.  The Leyland Museum did, however, have a small display.  We learned that the Santa Fe RR had a major locomotive repair shop in Cleburne for many years, but it has since closed down.  

The Santa Fe's Cleburne Locomotive Shop is most known for converting F7's to CF7's. Stan H. & Mike O. will know what I'm talking about.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerLoved the museums.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 1,490 miles (2,398 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0