Day 31 - Huntsville to Centerville - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2021

Day 31 - Huntsville to Centerville

Avoiding the rain

Heart 1 Comment 0

Because of impending thunderstorms, we left the hotel in Huntsville before 7:15.  That's probably close to a record early start for for us.  

We were on quiet country roads with very little traffic all day.  It helped that today is Sunday.  Our problem today wasn't traffic, it was dogs.  We had three chases - two of them with multiple dogs.  They weren't really threatening, but I am so uneasy now with dogs.  Kerry stopped the bike for one group of dogs who ran our from their yard.  They quit moving when we quit moving.  He yelled "Go home" and they did.  It seems like there are a lot of loose dogs.

The roads were much better today. Sunday morning is a good time for cycling.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I finally got a good picture of horses.

Heart 4 Comment 0

Not long after I photographed the horses above, we rode past this facility.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWhat a gate right!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

There were many building which looked like duplex apartments with lots of pickup trucks and horse trailers.  We figure an equestrian facility/camp/resort.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Some pretty Texas pasture land

Heart 2 Comment 0

More cows, as usual

Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry likes to check out roadside historical markers.

Heart 1 Comment 0
An out of focus, distant Texas oil well.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were only two places to stop along our route today.  The second one at mile 44, Leona General Store, was closed on Sunday.  I noticed some cars leaving a church across the street and thought maybe they would let us use the bathroom there.  There were only a few people left when we pulled up, but they  were very gracious and welcomed me in.

The good folks at Leona Methodist Church - Laura Crawford, Richie and Cheryl Jackson, Jerry and Cynthia House
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was only 7 more miles to Centerville after we left Leona.  We saw two Brahman bulls within a mile.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Curt & Helene ReedWow! Never seen those before.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedWikipedia says the Brahman was bred with high tolerance for heat, sunlight and humidity. Maybe Kerry and I somehow got a little of that genetic material - I know he can be bull headed!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Since we had left so early and had so few places to stop, we got to the motel in Centerville just after 12:45.  We had a few miles of light rain and some thunder and lightening in the distance, but were very happy to arrive ahead of the storms.  We pulled up to the Days Inn and the lobby was locked.  A woman came to the night window and, after checking our reservation, said because it was before 3PM there would be an extra $20 early check-in fee.  In all our years of travel, this is the very first time we've encountered such a policy.  We were very aggravated, but this place is the only motel in town.  We went across the street and had a good lunch and very nice visit with the friendly staff at Woody's Smokehouse.  We were in a much better mood when we returned to the motel.  A little before 2:00, we approached the window again.  This time a man appeared, unlocked the door, and checked us in.  He made some excuses for the woman, but I think he knew she was wrong.  We were able to get into our room before this happened, so all is well.

It rained hard after we checked in. My pictures of rain never seem to capture how hard it is.
Heart 3 Comment 1

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 1,358 miles (2,185 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rose SamsonWe need the rain here in Crystal River. Glad to know those dogs did not
bite you. Be safe.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Angela FogleJust saw y'all in Dew crossing over I45. Stay dry.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonWe were fortunate to have enough dry hours to get to Centerville before the rain came. It is so nice to watch pouring rain through a window!
We have been surprised how many loose dogs we've encountered in Texas. We had two more chases today, but they were just yappers who gave up and went home pretty quickly.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Angela FogleWe were in Dew today and made it to Mexia before the rain. We had just a few sprinkles the last mile. Tomorrow looks like a different story!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Angela FogleTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithYes it is quite nasty out there now.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago