Day 27 - DeQuincy to Silsbee - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2021

Day 27 - DeQuincy to Silsbee

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a very good time today.  The people of DeQuincy made it one of the most memorable little towns we've visited.   Actually, the folks we met in DeQuincy made us feel like guests, not visitors.

Some of the staff at the Heritage Inn who were so kind to us - Megan, Bridgett and Kami.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we checked out of the Heritage Inn, we decided to take Evalin's advice and go see the outside of the railroad museum.  The building was seriously damaged by Hurricane Laura and it's not known when it will re-open to the public.  You can see that the red tile roof is covered with sheets of plastic.

DeQuincy depot built in 1923
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry asked the guy above working on the landscaping if we could park the bike and walk around and he said sure we could.  I went around the side and took this picture and heard Kerry say to someone "Are we trespassing?"  The answer was no, and I walked back around front to see who Kerry was talking to. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

I met Jerry Hall, former mayor and former Chief of Police, Harry Methvin, retired teacher and town historian and Casey Whitehead, current Chief of Police.  They had come over to arrange for us to have a tour of the museum.  I don't know how they knew we would be at the museum, but they had seen the article in the paper that morning.

Our welcoming committee - Jerry, Harry and Casey
Heart 3 Comment 0

Harry spent an hour giving us a tour of the depot museum and a few other historic spots in town.

This is the original tile floor and benches from 1923.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The baggage room
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tokens were hung on this board to show where men were working.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a conductor's travel case. The conductor was the boss of the train.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Harry and Kerry
Heart 3 Comment 0

We walked across the street to a building that the town had plans to restore.  Hurricane Laura brought a stop to many of the plans.

The old jail - 1920's
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old person in old jail
Heart 4 Comment 0

Harry was in this building during Laura.  This space is an old bank vault.  When buildings around him began to blow apart, he took shelter here.  On the wall he wrote, "In the early morning hours of August 27, 2020, Harry Methvin sought refuge in this vault!!"

Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is the photo and article from the DeQuincy News
Heart 4 Comment 4
Curt & Helene ReedOur friends are famous!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedAs famous as one can get being featured in the DeQuincy News!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacques CharronThis is great 👍 🥰
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After our excellent visit to DeQuincy, we rode on west.  There was a very long train - over a mile long - comprised almost entirely of double stacked containers.  It wasn't moving.  There was one engine on each end, so we couldn't tell which way it would be going, but we figured it would take a very long time to get started!

Heart 1 Comment 0

Just six miles from the Texas border, we stopped at a small store in the tiny community of  Starks, LA.

This was outside the store.  I'd heard that Amazon had these, but I'd never seen one.

An Amazon Hub. You can chose to have your Amazon order delivered here.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Inside the store, we spent our break talking with some of the regulars.  It was very entertaining.

Ricky, who probably should be paid for his contributions to the store, but isn't, along with Jeremy and Shelton.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Soon we crossed the Sabine River into Texas.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Another Texas marker at the end of the bridge.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Texas has had good roads so far.  The rumble strips are in the  right place and the shoulder is wide, smooth and clean.  

Texas Hwy 12
Heart 3 Comment 0
We have to show you some Texas cattle.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And some pretty pink roadside wildflowers.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have a longer day tomorrow at 66 miles, but beautiful weather to enjoy our day on the road.

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 1,185 miles (1,907 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerKerry should be happy about Silsbee, since there is a large rail yard there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerWe will ck back
Reply to this comment
2 years ago