Day 23 - New Roads to Opelousas - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2021

Day 23 - New Roads to Opelousas

Heart 1 Comment 0

We started our day with a visit to the Pointe Coupee Parish Museum, located in a historic house built by French settlers in 1760.  We learned about the False River, which is an oxbow lake created when the Mississippi River changed course in 1722.  What is now the lake was once the course of the river.

False River - popular recreational lake
Heart 1 Comment 0
If you zoom the picture, you can read about the creation of the False River.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The museum is run by Harry Portier, who gave us a tour and taught us about the history of the False River and the French settlers.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The dovetail joints of the walls is a building style used by the French in the 1700's. This house has withstood every force of nature for over 250 years.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The weaving loom housed here would have been community property and moved from home to home.
Heart 1 Comment 0

All the home's artifacts are of the mid to late 18th century.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry was correct about the crop we saw being sugar cane.  Harry told us that the French originally grew tobacco and indigo, then cotton.  After the boll weevil destroyed the cotton in the early 20th century, sugar cane was planted and has remained the area's primary crop.

Sugar cane
Heart 2 Comment 0

The local roads from New Roads to US 190 were in very poor shape.  Even where there was a shoulder, they were very uncomfortable to ride.  We were so happy to get back on 190 today with it's nice wide smooth shoulder.

Happy cycling surface!
Heart 4 Comment 0

At one place, there was a four mile long bridge with no shoulder.  There were two lanes in each direction and the traffic was pretty light.  Every vehicle moved into the left lane to pass us.  About halfway across, a car came up behind, put on his four-ways and acted as an escort for us the rest of the way across.  It was a really nice thing for him to do.  I didn't get a picture of him following us.

A few miles later, we came to this big bridge.  It is the Krotz Springs Bridge over the Atchafalaya River.  It also had no bike lane, but again traffic gave us plenty of berth to ride across safely.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Near Krotz Springs, a convoy consisting of four Louisiana state troopers escorting two large pieces of machinery passed us.  They were stopped in Krotz Springs and I got a few pictures.

A very large swamp buggy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

There has been a lot of rain here recently, with some minor flooding.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

We have seen several oil wells in Louisiana.  This one was pumping today.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow was scheduled as a rest day and thunderstorms are forecast all day.  We will enjoy that fortunate timing while we sit here and watch it rain.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,033 miles (1,662 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rose SamsonIt is good to know that you were able to bike even if the roads are rough.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Michael and Diane RuddockReading your daily journal is such a pleasant experience for both of us. Enjoy your photos and commentary so much. Love the train and bridge related photos and observations.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonRough roads are no fun, but they make us appreciate the smooth pavement even more.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Michael and Diane RuddockI'm glad that you are enjoying the journal. If you like the train and bridge stuff, you'll be happy because Kerry loves those things and always wants to put that in the journal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago