Day 107 - Spencer to Pocahontas - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2021

Day 107 - Spencer to Pocahontas

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a relaxing ride through Iowa farms again today.  Most of the way, we were on back roads with virtually no traffic.  We could enjoy looking around and talking to each other without feeling as if we needed to be constantly on alert.  We also had an actual tailwind much of the way.  It was a very good cycling day.

These cows were cooling off in the river. It was going to be a hot day!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were on roads like this today - almost perfect.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were some rolling hills
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another picture of "greens"
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice old barn with decorative wagons
Heart 3 Comment 0
And a new outbuilding - not sure if it's right to call it a barn - with classic barn exterior decor.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Webb, we stopped at the local cafe, Jackson's.  It was the same story as we experienced the other day at Burn's Grill in Doon.  The place was not really open, but the morning coffee ladies invited us in.  We had a good time visiting with them while we rested and had a soda.  

Heart 2 Comment 0
Some of the men in town were starting out on a tractor ride as we left town. The ride was in memory of one of the men's brother, David Williamson.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Old style granaries with no modern elevators. It seems as if the other granaries like these we've seen have all had new elevators added to the site.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is blurry from cropping. It's an old fashioned corn crib.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This old barn was sitting in the middle of a big cornfield. We wondered if it had sentimental or historical value to the owners.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's hard to see, but here the small bin in the front is being filled. If you look closely, you can see the grain dust on the top left of the small bin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Routing in these rural areas is a challenge for Kerry because the roads are in a grid, spaced one mile apart, but only every fifth one is paved. He did great today and found paved roads for the entire route.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are spending the night in Pocahontas, county seat of Pocahontas County.  The downtown business district was very quiet on a Saturday afternoon.

Looking down Main Street of Pocahontas, with the Pocahontas County Courthouse in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Local movie theater for Kelly. We need to look up the reason for movie theaters being named "Rialto". Do any of you know?
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Pocahontas County Courthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0
A large crowd was gathering on the side of the courthouse. We learned that it was a family reunion and over 100 people were expected.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pocahontas has a Pocahontas statue and park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As far as we can tell, the only connection between Pocahontas and this town is the decision to name the county and town after her due to her historical significance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 1 Comment 0
Murals on park buildings
Heart 2 Comment 0

We hope that tomorrow's ride will be as pleasant as today's!

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 3,977 miles (6,400 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0