Day 101 - Huron to Mitchell - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2021

Day 101 - Huron to Mitchell

Heart 1 Comment 0

We were slow getting ready this morning and didn't leave until after 8:30.  It was a 52 mile day, into the wind and we knew it would be a long ride.  We were right.   After our "must see" visit to the Corn Palace, it was after 5:00 when we got into our room.  That doesn't leave much time for resting and blogging before we're up and packing for another ride.  We're going to make more of an effort to leave early tomorrow.  It's also forecast to be in the 90's for the next few days, so that's another reason to get our lazy selves moving in the morning!

We rode by a farm with a large herd of sheep south of Huron.

There were many sheep
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was room for everyone...
Heart 1 Comment 0
But these few found a great place for breakfast - they had their heads stuck inside the hay bales!
Heart 2 Comment 0
All the corn we're seeing now is fully tasseled
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cows by the river
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had another excellent road today.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rose SamsonA beautiful day for biking! No traffic. And the view is beautiful and relaxing as you pedal your bike! It's an a a a h! ! moment.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonThese are the moments that keep us biking every day!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Corn planting business
Heart 1 Comment 0
The James River. We've been crossing it since Jamestown, ND.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the James River closer to Mitchell.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry liked this stairway going up the elevator.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our bike with a scenic background at one of our roadside stops
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonA Nice way of giving the Tandem a break!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Like Huron, Mitchell still has a drive-in theater.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Main street in Mitchell
Heart 2 Comment 0
The World's Only Corn Palace - in Mitchell since 1892. It is redone with corn ears and corn plants every year. Each year the decorating has a different theme.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rose SamsonIt must be exciting to see "what decorations would be every year".
I can only wish South Dakota is closer to Florida.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This year it's "Stay and Play".
Heart 2 Comment 0
I couldn't get back far enough to get the entire building in one picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A brief history of the beginnings of grain palaces. They were to showcase local prosperity and bring in visitors and more residents to the towns.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Corn Palace is actually a theater, sports and event venue.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rose SamsonI have never seen ears of corn as decoration! Very interesting!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Curt & Helene ReedWow! I have never seen anything like it. Beautiful and interesting.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The murals  (both inside and outside) are made using only ears of corn.  No dyes or paints are used in the murals - a local farmer grows corn in 12 different colors specifically for the Corn Palace.  Starting in August, all the murals are removed and the new murals are installed, based on designs created by art students at the local college.  Each ear of corn is nailed into place, one ear at a time.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 3,738 miles (6,016 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kathleen JonesI never knew all that about corn palaces. Pretty cool and so well done.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago