Day 81 Victoria-by-the-Sea - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2019

Day 81 Victoria-by-the-Sea

Short and sweet

Heart 1 Comment 0

We are very happy to be on PEI today.  It was a good ride and short.  We had just 16 miles to the Confederation Bridge and then just 13 more to get to our B&B.  The rest of the miles were by shuttle across the bridge.

It started out very cloudy with a forecast for afternoon thunderstorms.  We actually had just a couple of light sprinkles around 11:00 and hoped we would get here before it rained, but it cleared up and we've had a little sunshine.

There wasn't much to see on the way to the bridge.  We saw another moose warning sign, but still no moose.

Heart 3 Comment 0

For several miles, we saw signs advertising Blue Roof Distillery and their potato vodka.  It wasn't open for tours on Sunday morning.  I think the potato looks more like a peanut.

Heart 3 Comment 0

We called for a shuttle across the bridge when we got to the visitors center.  The bike had to go in the back of a truck which could only take one passenger, so I rode the shuttle bus.  This went much better than the Chesapeake Bay shuttle.  Everything arrived unharmed this time.

PEI in the summertime is lush, green and colorful.  This is a view of the bridge in the distance.

Heart 3 Comment 0

And another view out to the Northumberland Strait

Heart 2 Comment 0

The first time we remember seeing a field of canola was on PEI two years ago.  I wish I had picture that captured the beautiful colors of the canola and lupines.

Heart 3 Comment 0

We met our first touring cyclist in weeks.  This is Real from Montreal.  He's riding from the Magdalen Islands back to Montreal.

Heart 2 Comment 0

More lupines - so pretty

Heart 2 Comment 0

Getting to and from PEI has not always been as easy as driving across a bridge.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Ice boat replica
Heart 3 Comment 0

In fact, it's only been as easy as driving across the bridge since 1997.  Some people on the island still refer to the bridge as the "fixed link".  It's very interesting to talk to islanders about the significant changes on PEI since the bridge opened.   

The bike waiting patiently for check in at the Orient B&B. We've had some disappointing B&B's lately, but this one is very nice and the owners are great.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 3,128 miles (5,034 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0