Day 47 Haverstraw, NY - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2019

Day 47 Haverstraw, NY

Heart 0 Comment 0

We woke up this morning at 6AM and decided to try to beat the forecast rain.  The forecast said 49% chance of rain at our destination by 11AM and 80% by noon.  I thought we could get at least most of the way before we got wet.

It worked out great - we didn't get here until 12:40 (hills and traffic!), but we had only a few light sprinkles.  It's raining like crazy now, so we feel very lucky.

We left West Orange about 7AM with moderate traffic.  The traffic got heavier and heavier as we went north.  It was classic urban riding, going slowly from traffic light to traffic light.  I don't have any pictures of that.  We both stayed focused on the road and the traffic.

We rode through more New Jersey towns - some like my TV image of "Jersey" and some very nice.

This is what I picture when I hear New Jersey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And so is this.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Oradell, NJ is one of the nicer towns we've been through.  It isn't full of large estates and big shows of wealth, just attractive homes and an active, prosperous downtown business district.

It's hard for me to capture a good street scene, but this is a very attractive business area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A nice neighborhood, I think.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It's really blurry, but I did get picture of the sign.  I hope New York drivers will be a little more polite than the ones in Jersey.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Just after we entered New York, we got this bike path for a whole mile.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry likes to check out bike shops we pass.  This one in Piermont, NY was big and busy.  No one on the staff was inclined to chat, so we didn't stay long.  I've never seen a vending machine for tubes and CO2 cartridges before.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWow, that is interesting.......
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

In Piermont, we got our first glimpse of the Hudson River.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Just north of Piermont is the community of Grand View on the Hudson.  There were a few miles of big old houses on the bluffs above the river.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Some were beautiful, and some, like this one, needed a little TLC - and probably a lot of $$$.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Haverstraw, I finally stopped at the post office so I could get the earrings I left in Maryland mailed to me.  The clerk there, Allison, was absolutely the nicest, friendliest and most entertaining of any postal employee I've ever dealt with. (Dealt with professionally I mean, Rich and Val.  You are still our most favorite all time postal employees.)

Allison, Eileen and us. The USPS and the Haverstraw PO is very lucky to have employees like this!
Heart 3 Comment 3
Allison MatthewsIt was also truly a delight meeting you the dream team power couple.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rich McKayWow, Jeanna... that was a fancy bit of "back-pedaling"! We're more than happy to share the stage with other awesome postal people (and being retired, Allison deserves top billing)!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerAmazing how nice people just show up....we've said that before...but worth saying again right!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 1,826 miles (2,939 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerHugs to you both from your Pennsylvania Bicycle Traveler friend. Remain safe and calm.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago