Day 26 Buxton, NC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2019

Day 26 Buxton, NC

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had some really beautiful riding today.  The 13 miles from the village at the south end of Ocracoke to the ferry landing at the north end is almost completely undeveloped except for the road.  I'll use the pictures to describe our ride to the ferry.

There was a separate bike path for several miles, but we didn't need it. There was very little traffic and everyone gave us plenty of room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ocracoke's maritime forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beaches on Ocracoke are magnificent. Across high dunes from the road, they feel remote and untouched.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI remember that too. So beautiful!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
About the Ocracoke horses
Heart 1 Comment 0
The horse corral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Winds continually blow sand from the dunes across the roadway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Keeping the road clear of sand is a constant process.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras
Heart 1 Comment 0
We spent the crossing talking with Susan and James from Charlotte. It was great meeting you all.
Heart 1 Comment 0

On Hatteras Island, we visited the third of North Carolina's three Maritime Museums.  We were at the museums in Southport and Beaufort on the way here.  They didn't allow flash photography inside, but I got this picture of the old Cape Hatteras lighthouse lens, which has been restored.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Hatteras has the same issue with sand blowing over the road. I'm sure we will encounter this the rest of the way up the Outer Banks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keeping the road clear is an ongoing job.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Power poles along the road leaving Hatteras Village. On a trip to the island in the 80's, I remember my uncle being amazed at how far in the distance you could see them and how straight they were. - Kerry
Heart 0 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerGood shot, that was amazing to see them go FOREVER. How was the weather HOT?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Hatteras has many of these huge new homes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But there are still some more modest choices.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThose are cool!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The road to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse had just been paved. They were actually laying asphalt on a portion of it as we rode by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Cape Hatteras lighthouse
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat light is so pretty. I think there is a campground there nearby too. I wished I would have stayed there.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kerry climbed to the top. I didn't feel the need to join him!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerDarn man, you are strong!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

On to Nags Head tomorrow...

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 957 miles (1,540 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lou HarminVery interesting. I have never been there but your make me feel as if I have been.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago