Day 24 Davis, NC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2019

Day 24 Davis, NC

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a nice coastal ride today along Bogue Banks and through Morehead City and Beaufort.  (That's  "Bow-fort" NC, not to be confused with "Bew-fort" SC, where we were last week.)  There was a good tailwind most of the way and the weather was good, if a little hot in the afternoon.

We left Swansboro and had to cross this bridge to Bogue Banks. It was a lot of climbing very early in the ride.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerDaunting view guys.....flash back from my Gulf Tour. Ugh
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
View from bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
The towns of Emerald Isle, Salter Path, Pine Knoll Shoes and Atlantic Beach are on Bogue Banks. There are many more houses than big hotels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Emerald Isle has beautiful residential areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Pine Knoll Shores, we visited another North Carolina Aquarium.  It was very much like the aquarium at Fort Fisher we went to two years ago.

Lionfish - invasive and harmful, but beautiful to look at.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jellyfish
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry touching stingray
Heart 0 Comment 0
Giant otters are over five feet tall - taller than Jeanna
Heart 1 Comment 0

We also saw some friends from home.

This part of North Carolina is the northern range of the American alligator.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cooters!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode to the north end of Bogue Banks and back across another big bridge to Morehead City.  There was a boat show along our route and the road was closed, but we made our way through.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The Sanitary Fish Market is a Morehead City institution.
Heart 0 Comment 0

To get from Morehead City to Beaufort, we had to cross two more bridges.  The first was old, narrow and had no bike lane.  No pictures were taken on it.  The second was the new "highrise bridge".  

Bridge climb #4 today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Beaufort is a very pretty small town.  We understand that it is a favorite of boaters on the Intracoastal Waterway.

Beaufort waterfront on the Intracoastal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went into the maritime museum in Beaufort.  My camera chose this time to die, so I only got a couple of pictures.  The Life Saving Stations along the Atlantic coast were the predecessors to the US Coast Guard.  This is a "life car" used to rescue shipwreck victims in rough surf.  6-7 adults could fit in laying down on top of each other.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we left Beaufort, we had 18 miles to ride to our B&B in Davis, NC.  The Davis B&B is gorgeous and the food is amazing.  They advertise "heavy hors d'oeuvres" and drinks in the evening.  We had vegetables and dip, cheese, fruit, assorted crackers and some little cake bites.  We thought it was great, then we learned that was just the start.  That spread was followed with a seafood feast.  We had grilled shrimp, shrimp quesadillas and fried soft shell crabs, followed by grilled ribs.  Add beer, wine and all the Diet Coke we could drink and we were in culinary heaven!

The photo doesn't do the food justice. Owners Jerry and Valinda Coates run the best B&B we've ever stayed in. Our room was as nice as the food was good!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerStop it, stop it.......too yummy looking
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Chef David who prepared the evening feast. His ribs were amazing!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 860 miles (1,384 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lou HarminMost interesting write up on your adventures. Wish I could be with you but glad I am not on a bike.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago