Day 15 Charleston, SC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2019

Day 15 Charleston, SC

Today we did some sightseeing in Charleston.  Liz grew up here and is a good tour guide.

This morning, we took the ferry over to Ft. Sumter.  Ft. Sumter is at the inlet to the Charleston Harbor - or as the locals say "where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers come together to form the Atlantic".  The Harbor is very busy with ships entering and leaving the Port of Charleston.  We saw several container ships, automobile carriers and a Carnival Cruise ship, as well as many smaller commercial and pleasure vessels.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Automobile transports
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Carnival Ecstasy
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also had a good view of the Ravenel Bridge we rode across yesterday.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry ride out to Ft. Sumter took about 30 minutes. 

Ft. Sumter
Heart 0 Comment 0

 We were the first group to arrive today, so we got to see the park rangers raise the flag.  They enlisted tourists to "help".  Before the flag raising, one of the park rangers gave a very good talk about the significance of Ft. Sumter at the start of the Civil War.  The Confederate shots which began the Civil War resulted the expulsion of US Army  Major Robert Anderson and his garrison from Ft. Sumter.  They were allowed to take the United States flag which had been flying over the fort with them when they left.  After the end of the war, Major Anderson returned to Charleston to again raise the flag of the United States over Ft. Sumter.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Flag flying over Ft. Sumter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Liz and Tom
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the trip to Ft. Sumter, we drove around the historic district and the battery, then out to Liz's childhood neighborhood.  We came back to the hotel for some  seriously competitive Rummicub.  Kerry won the first game and Liz the second.  Tom and Liz are leaving early tomorrow to visit their son's family on the way home.  It was great to see them.

We're planning to have a real rest day tomorrow  - right now we think we may not even leave the hotel.  It's time for a lazy day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0