Day 80 Fort Plain, NY - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2018

Day 80 Fort Plain, NY

Heart 0 Comment 0

We enjoyed riding in the sunshine today.  We even had a couple of "bonus miles" to extend the pleasure.

After riding out of Rome, we got back on the Erie Canalway.  It was not the best trail surface we've ridden.  The trail was very soft because of yesterday's rain and the tracks were quite narrow.  We had miles of only single track to ride.

This nice wide path quickly changed to only one narrow track. I was too intent on remaining upright on the bike to take any pictures of the really bad trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our bonus miles came at Little Falls.  Little Falls is a very scenic small town on the Mohawk River, with, of course, some falls.

Heart 0 Comment 0
See the face?
Heart 1 Comment 0

After appreciating the views, we were ready to ride on to Fort Plain.  Following our Ride With GPS route took us to a lock with a steep staircase going down to the trail.  That was definitely not going to work for us, so Viktoriya consulted her GPS maps and found us an alternate route.  It was a good road and we were able to rejoin our planned route with a gain of just over two bonus miles - and a some bonus climbing just to add to the fun.

Interesting sights on the canal today - a river boat sailed past.  We didn't see any sign of passengers.

Heart 0 Comment 0

These old barges have been there so long that there is vegetation growing on them.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We're staying in a very nice B&B in Fort Plain tonight called "A White Rose".  Team A has a really cool bed in their room.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Boris FayferThis cool bed so dangerous that Vita need to sleep with helmet ;)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Tomorrow we are looking forward to seeing some friends from home.  It is supposed to get to 90 degrees, so it will feel like home, too!

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 3,690 miles (5,938 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0