Day 73 Amherst, NY - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2018

Day 73 Amherst, NY

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a short ride today.  I knew we would need extra time to shuttle across the Peace Bridge and go through Customs and I'm pretty open to a good reason for a short day anyway!

We were very lucky leaving Port Colburne and got to watch this ship go under the lift bridge.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The guys enjoyed watching the big boat!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode a bike trail to the Peace Bridge to re-enter the USA at Buffalo.

Buffalo skyline from Fort Erie, Ontario
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we arrived at the bridge, we had to call for a shuttle to get across because the bicycle and pedestrian lane is closed during construction.  Both Viktoriya and I had trouble getting a call to go through on our phones.  As we were trying to make the call, a group of cyclists came up and one of them also tried to call.  We were finally able to get a good connection and requested a shuttle for two and tandems and four cyclists.  While we were waiting, two more cyclists who needed to cross the bridge arrived.  We learned from them that the shuttle bus would not be able to transport our tandems, but the shuttle bus would follow cyclists riding across the bridge as a safety escort.  That worked out great and we were able to ride back to the USA across the Peace Bridge in a peaceful and relaxed way.

Our helpful fellow cyclists. Thanks, guys!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once in Buffalo, we had a riverside bike trail almost the entire way to our hotel in Amherst.

The Shoreline trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the Niagara River from the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some girls on the river practicing a type of cycling we haven't tried yet
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we start the Erie Canalway Trail which goes all the way to Albany.  We're especially looking forward to this next part of our trip because we will be seeing some friends from home, and some family of friends from home.  It will be good to see them all.  

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 3,404 miles (5,478 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0