Day 59 Traverse City, MI - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2018

Day 59 Traverse City, MI

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was fun.  We are back in "civilization" after our time in some quite remote areas in the UP.  Today's route took us through some busy tourist areas and the heart of Michigan's cherry country.

We left Petoskey on the Little Traverse Wheelway.  There were views of Lake Michigan and a long section of boardwalk.

Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the lake from the bike path
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a very long boardwalk to ride across
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail ended in the town of Charlevoix where there was an arts and crafts festival and boat parade in progress.  I think there were more people and cars in downtown Charlevoix than we have seen in the last week!

Charlevoix boat parade
Heart 0 Comment 0

We traveled through miles of cherry orchards.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
There were trees full of ripe cherries
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were many places selling cherries and cherry pies along the road.  Viktoriya stopped and bought some at a roadside stand and we enjoyed them at the harbor in Elk Rapids.  Elk Rapids is a busy and very nice summer resort town.

We enjoyed our cherries at the harbor in Elk Rapids
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry talked with Mike, the harbormaster. Thanks for making us welcome on your dock!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Lake Michigan at Elk Rapids
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last few miles into Traverse City we were on the TART (Traverse Area Recreation and Transportation) Trail.  It has a rail line next to it, but we didn't get to see a train.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the evening, we met up with Alain's brother and sister-in-law from Columbus for dinner.  They're here in a  cottage for a week.  Tomorrow we'll ride with them and visit some wineries.

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 2,770 miles (4,458 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0