Day 58 Petoskey, MI - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2018

Day 58 Petoskey, MI

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a long short day today.  Our route was only 44 miles and rain was forecast for the early morning, so we decided to leave our hotel at 10AM.  We rode 1/2 mile to the Mackinac Bridge Authority where we purchased tickets for the shuttle across the bridge. Mackinac Bridge does not allow cyclists with the exception of one designated day each year.  

No bicycles on this bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry and Viktoriya walked to the toll authority office to get the tickets and explained the size of our bikes.  A few minutes later, a  pickup truck pulling a flat trailer pulled up.  There was a bike rack in the front, but nothing that would support a tandem.  We took off all the panniers and laid the bikes down on the trailer.  They did also send a second pickup truck, so all four of us could ride across at the same time.  It worked out OK and all of us and our bikes got safely across.  By the time we were ready to roll again, it was 11AM.  We followed our route south and we (Team S) stopped for an early lunch snack at Clyde's Bar in Carp Lake.  

We had some good bike trail miles today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our next planned stop was the Oden Fish Hatchery. We took a very interesting tour of the facility but I left my camera on the bike, so I don't have any pictures.  It was almost 4PM by the time we finished there.  We were all hungry and looking for the nearest place to eat, but as we pulled out of the parking lot, we (Team S) had our second flat tire.   It was lucky that we had a nice clean, safe place for Kerry to change it.  It didn't take him too long and we were on our way again.  We didn't find a place to eat until we got all the way to our hotel.  The deli next door closed at 6PM and we made it with less than 30 minutes to spare.

So we ended up with an 8 hour "short day", but had a good time and now we're all fed and cozy in our rooms planning for tomorrow.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 2,707 miles (4,356 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Alain AbbateI also thought they allowed cyclists on the Mackinac bridge once per year, but the driver of the shuttle said they no longer open the bridge for cyclists. They still have an annual event for pedestrians to cross the bridge.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago