Day 45 Hill City, MN - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2018

Day 45 Hill City, MN

Heart 0 Comment 0

We're off in the wilds of northern Minnesota for a couple of days on the way to Duluth.  We had a 52 mile route today that only went through one town.  It was a nice ride most of the way.  We had good shoulders and very little traffic for most of the way.  There was  one section of two land road with no rideable shoulder that had a moderate amount of very fast traffic for several miles.  Everyone moved over and gave us plenty of room, so we didn't have any problems.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped in a little lakeside park in the community of Whipholt.  There were nice views of Leech Lake.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Leech Lake. Sugar Point is on the far shore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road went mostly through pine forest today.  This may be the only day of the trip we didn't see any corn fields.

Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode past several big fields of these wildflowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch at the Woodsman Cafe in Remer, which was the only place we passed with any services today.  What a delightful surprise to learn that we were in the home of Bigfoot!

Heart 0 Comment 0

For those of you who appreciate artistically, culturally or socially significant photographs, take a break.  Here are some more cheesy tourist pictures.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After lunch, we had a short ride to the Blue Moon Resort in Hill City.  It's a campground/motel on a lake and pretty rustic.  We have a view of the lake from the porch of our motel rooms. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

 The best thing about this place so far is who is staying in the room next door!

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 2,125 miles (3,420 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0