Day 30 Windom, MN - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2018

Day 30 Windom, MN

Heart 0 Comment 0

We got an early start today because the temperature was going to be over 90 this afternoon.  The route was only 42 miles and we expected to have a tailwind almost the whole way.  The first few miles were along the shore of Spirit Lake which is the largest lake in Iowa.  It was very peaceful this morning.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just after we passed the lake, we entered Minnesota.  There was no sign to mark the state line, but the road designation changed.  Welcome to Minnesota!

Heart 0 Comment 0

As promised, here are some pictures of Minnesota farms.  The area we rode through looked prosperous.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Someone had quite a collection of old tractors lined up along the road with a very weathered for sale sign.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our destination today was the town of Windom.  We saw these for sale on the way to our motel.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After we checked in to the motel room with a garage - a first for us - we walked into town for lunch.  Windom has an attractive town square with a beautiful old courthouse.  Everyone wanted a picture.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Alain was ready for a haircut after a month on the road and spotted a barber pole on a side street.  We found this shop.  He decided he'd better be prepared to deal with the "flare" they might give him.  

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 1,423 miles (2,290 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Michael SchoenEntered MN somewhat east of my prior "stomping grounds" in Rock County, the southwestern-most county in the state. Also infamous as the only county in the state that does not have a single natural lake.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Alain AbbateTo Michael SchoenMore old stomping grounds? You seem to have stomped along much of our route.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Michael SchoenTo Alain AbbateI'm just a midwest kind of guy.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rich McKayIn your encounter with "Hair With 'Flare'", did you ever determine whether they were playing with the words, or whether someone never passed spelling class?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Alain AbbateTo Rich McKayI didn't think it would be fare to ask such a question.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rich McKayTo Alain AbbateAnd why knot?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago