Day 16 Windsor, MO - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2018

Day 16 Windsor, MO

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a day with no threat of rain, but highs in the 90's again.  The Katy Trail has an uphill grade for most of the way in this section.  The combination of the heat, slight uphill grade and not as well maintained trail surface made for a long, tiring day.

We were lucky to have nicely shaded trail for the first part of today's ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were places were rock had to be cut to allow the railroad track to be built.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are several of these metal culverts on the trail.  Not as cool as rock tunnels, but a nice brief respite from the heat.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This roller is used to compact the trail. The surface between Sedalia and Windsor was significantly worse than it was farther east.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Past Boonville, the trail leaves the Missouri River and goes through large farms and pastures. There were huge stacks of hay on one field
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The high point on the Katy is just a few miles east of Windsor.  By the time we arrived there, Kerry was not feeling like it was the high point of his day.  He was too hot and tired to even  look at the camera for a picture.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We met Richard from Springfield, MO at the Globe Hotel B&B in Hartsburg and saw him several times over the next two days.  He has a moving life story that we were glad he shared with us.  He was headed back home after finishing his ride in Sedalia.

It was great to meet you, Richard.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We also met Kevin and Jeanne on the trail.  They are from Fort Collins, CO, where Jeanne works at Recycled Cycles.  They have done extensive international cycle touring and were fun to talk with.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Guinness drinkers (Hi Nelson and Curt!),check out Kevin's bottle opener cap.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Nicholas SmithAs a fellow Guinness drinker. I approve.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 779 miles (1,254 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0