Day 15 Boonville, MO - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2018

Day 15 Boonville, MO

Heart 0 Comment 0

When we got up this morning, the weather looked terrible.  The sky was dark and it was very windy.  We looked at an alternative road route because we knew the Katy would be hard to ride in the rain.  Fortunately for us, the road alternative was much longer and didn't look cycle friendly.  We all decided to stick to the trail.  That was a good decision, because we got only light sprinkles of rain for an hour or so.  There was one moderately heavy shower that started and stopped while we were having lunch.  It was pleasantly cool and cloudy - a perfect day for cycling.

The Katy scenery remained unchanged, but was nice to ride through.  There are steep bluffs across from the river whose height is hard to capture in a  picture.  We went through the only tunnel on the trail - 243 long - near Rocheport.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A tractor with the attachment spreads those limestone fines. The trail surface is in excellent condition.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent the night at the historic Hotel Frederick in Boonville.  It is a beautifully restored old hotel  built in 1905 and very popular with cyclists.   I didn't take a picture outside, but this is the hallway and common area outside our room.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This table was a perfect place to enjoy our after dinner Klondike bars.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 719 miles (1,157 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0