Bonus miles - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

Bonus miles

We used our apartment kitchen to "cook" breakfast. Well, we did make some coffee, but otherwise breakfast consisted of yogurt, grapefruit juice, and unhealthy gooey rolls. Yum!

2 blocks into our ride we encountered a broken water main on US 69. Water was squirting up from all kinds of interesting places.

Saved us a trip to Yellowstone.
Heart 1 Comment 0

US 69 is a nice road because it has hardly any traffic. It has signs indicating that it serves as plan B if they ever need to close down a section of I-35. I would hate to have to share US 69 with all the cars and trucks from the interstate.

Approaching plan B for all the interstate traffic heading for Des Moines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the time we had US 69 all to ourselves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
US 69 scenery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More US 69 scenery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a few miles we left US 69 for some smaller roads with even less traffic. After a while we discovered that one reason there wasn't much traffic on the small roads was that a bridge was out.

Is it bad luck if a cute orange and white cat crosses your path?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes, it's bad luck if the bridge on the other side of the cat is under construction.
Heart 0 Comment 0

With the bridge out, it was time for our own plan B. Back to US 69! Bonus miles - sooner or later part of every bike trip.

I wish I could tell you that rearranging our route lead us to some spectacular and unexpected scenery. Actually, I could tell you that, but I would be lying.

The second half of our day was on bike trails that lead to some nice scenery and some much appreciated shade.

Welcome shade on the bike trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Team S making a wrong turn on the bike trail. Des Moines has a complicated maze of bike trails, so we made several wrong turns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horses next to the bike trail. Can we call one over?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Of course we can.
Heart 1 Comment 0

5 miles before we reached out destination, we abandoned any pretense of heathy eating and stopped at a McDonald's. We were spellbound by a magic glowing table that changed colors when you touched it.

Jeanna and Alain playing with the magic table. Kerry can hardly contain his excitement.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our final choice of the day. A flat and shady trail that might be closed, or a steep detour. Choose wisely!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0