Without a trace - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2016

Without a trace

This was it, our last day on the Natchez Trace. We have become so spoiled by smooth pavement, beautiful scenery, little traffic and no dogs that anything we encounter for the next few weeks is likely to be a letdown.

Few of the original "stands" remain on the trace. Today we visited the only stand still open to the public, Mount Locust. It served as a tavern/Inn for travelers on the trace. Later on Mount Locust Plantation was a place of bondage for slaves toiling in cotton fields.

The Mount Locust stand has been restored by the department of interior.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Two volunteers, Ray and Cindy, were on hand to answer questions about Mount Locust. We were intrigued and inspired by their life style. They sold their house and live out of their RV while volunteering at different parks.

Ray
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cindy
Heart 0 Comment 0

We wanted to spot some more mushrooms, but we were stumped

Here is the top of the stump.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The side of the stump.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bottom of the stump.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All too soon the Parkway came to an end.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we got to Natchez we left our bikes in the house we are renting and explored the town. It's a interesting place with lots of historic buildings. The town is situated high above the Mississippi River.

We discovered that we don't need to search for fungus out on the trace, there was plenty of interesting stuff growing in our rental house.

A bit mouldy for my taste.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who knows, it may grow on me if I give it a chance.
Heart 0 Comment 0

For those of you wondering if you should be feeling sorry for Jeanna because of her fire ant bites, here is an update on her condition. She wanted me to mention that expressions of sympathy in the form of wine and chocolate are welcome.

Jeanna's fire ant bitten feet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0