Mud - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2016

Mud

Yesterday afternoon we walked around the Antietam battlefield in a light drizzle. We passed the sunken road (bloody lane) and the national cemetery. Just walking by ourselves was not a very moving experience. This morning was a completely different experience. We went to the Antietam visitor center and heard an absolutely spell binding description of the battle by a young park ranger. He first set the context in terms of the goals of the two sides and then painted a picture with words that let us see the battle unfold on the landscape in front of us.

Dunker church, Antietam battlefield. Symbol of peace, witness to the horrors of war.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cornfield, Antietam battlefield. More Americans died in this field in 4 hours than in the entire D-day invasion.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a leisurely 10 miles on rolling hills with the widest shoulders you could wish for, including stops for the battlefield visit and a late breakfast / early lunch, we found ourselves back on the C&O canal towpath. Yesterday's rain left the trail much muddier than it had been the day before. The path is a double track (essentially a set of pickup truck tire tracks), so in most cases we could switch lanes to avoid mud puddles. But it took a lot of concentration to choose a good path so it was not easy to look up and enjoy the scenery.

We did enjoy a stop at the water fall at dam #5 on the Potomac River. After a brief time out in the sunshine at the falls we were happy to get back under the canopy on the trail.

Potomac River dam #5. The dam was needed to feed water into the C&O canal. Stonewall Jackson tried without succes to destroy the dam to disrupt transportation on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The further west we went along the trail the muddier it got. We met several bikers coming east from Cumberland - all of them were much muddier than us. We switched over to the paved Maryland rail trail for the last 10 miles into Hancock. The super 8 in Hancock let us use their hose and gave us old towels so that our bikes could enjoy a trip to the spa and shed their mud before entering the hotel. I hope the bikes enjoyed their beauty treatment, we will be back on the trail tomorrow.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0