Day 98 Panama City to Apalachicola - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2016

Day 98 Panama City to Apalachicola

Well, we're getting closer to home. We got back into Eastern time this morning. Team A has kept their watches on Eastern time the whole trip, so after a month, they have the correct time again.

It was a good cycling day. We had low humidity and a high of around 86. There were a few clouds this afternoon to break up the sun, so it was very comfortable.

Riding on 30A
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's route was from Panama City to Apalachicola. We rode past Tyndall Air Force Base just after leaving Panama City. We saw (and heard) a few fighter jets take off. There were miles of empty land with dirt roads leading into the scrub that were "no public access" property of the base. We saw one that was a drone testing area. We obeyed the signs and stayed on the highway.

The next town we came to was Mexico Beach. It is very different than Destin. There are mostly smaller single family homes and some wide open expanses of beach front. It looked like a very nice, peaceful beach town.

Tyndall AFB land
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inviting side roads, but no exploring allowed
Heart 0 Comment 0
We didn't see it, but assumed there was surveillance
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just a few miles from Mexico Beach is Port St. Joe. It is another attractive small town with a busy old fashioned downtown, as well as the usual new stores and restaurants on the highway.

Mexico Beach - nice beach town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mexico Beach - you can still see the Gulf driving down the road
Heart 0 Comment 0

Past Port St. Joe, we came to the St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve. It was established to protect the water quality and habitats of St. Joseph Bay. There were some walking trails, but we just checked out the visitor center and climbed the observation tower. It was an interesting place. They are an educational center and they accommodate students and researchers from Florida and around the country. It would be an awesome place for a long field trip.

Observation tower at St. Joseph Bay Preserve
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from tower
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode the rest of the way to Apalachicola mostly following the Gulf. The area is sparsely populated with a few houses here and there. It was a quiet, scenic ride.

St. Joseph Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Team A riding past
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 4,711 miles (7,582 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0