Day 80 Tishomingo to Tupelo - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2016

Day 80 Tishomingo to Tupelo

Today was day 7 of riding since our last rest day. Team S is ready for a break. It was a short day, only 47 miles, but there was enough climbing to make it a good calorie burning day.

We left our intimate and cozy room around 8AM with a light drizzle. The forecast was for an 80% chance of rain between 9AM and 10AM. The panniers got their raincoats on and we rode out. The very light mist continued until about 10AM,then stopped completely. I almost hate to keep telling you about our rain luck, for fear of it coming back to bite us with a real downpour. However, our amazing good luck with the weather is continuing with cloudy, overcast days with lower than average high temperatures. It is about the best we could hope for in August in the south.

Being in the real south again, Alain is claiming not to understand some of the things he hears people saying. I think he's just messing with me, but I do enjoy being surrounded with southern accents. It just sounds "right" to me.

The first place we stopped today was at the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway.

Learning about the Tenn-Tom Waterway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway information
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Tennesee Tombigbee Waterway
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a rest stop today was at Pharr Mounds, an ancient Indian burial site. There wasn't much to see, but it was a nice place to take a break. We got into a conversation there with Bobby and Jamie, who live in the area and are horseback riders. Their multi-day trips are much more involved than ours, having to provide food, water and comfortable bedding for themselves and their transportation. Our bikes are happy with a little chain lube and an occasional hosing down. They are thinking about a Continental Divide group ride from Canada to Mexico, which lasts 6 months. It makes our little bike tour seem not too adventurous at all.

Bobby and Jamie - riders of horses, not bicycles
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a short visit to the Trace visitors center in Tupelo, we got to our hotel before 2PM.

The Natchez Trace Parkway Visitors Center at Tupelo
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've been catching up on our blogging and emails after three days of no internet. Tomorrow is a rest day and Team S will rest. Team A, I think, is short for "Team Always on the Go", so we'll see what they get up to tomorrow.

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 3,747 miles (6,030 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0