Day 70 Henderson to Sturgis - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2016

Day 70 Henderson to Sturgis

Today was a blissfully short day for Team S. We had only 41 miles to ride from Henderson to Sturgis. Team A had a burning desire to ride into Illinois to add to their state count, so planned some extra miles. Kerry would have liked to go along with them, but he was at his spousal best and said he was happy to stay with our nice short route today.

We started out riding along the riverfront in Henderson. It is just across the river from Evansville, IN and has a beautiful riverfront park.

Ohio River at Henderson, KY
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Henderson, we quickly got into farmland. I know you will all be surprised to hear this, but we spent much of the morning riding through fields of corn and soybeans.

Is this very young bourbon?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots and lots of corn today
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was 25 miles to the first place with services today, so we took a break earlier in a shady spot by the side of the road. You know how some people just can’t leave a stray kitten or puppy they find in the road? Kerry has that concern for stray tools. Viktoriya looked down and saw a wrench laying in the weeds. Kerry had me retrieve it, then he took it to a good home at an auto shop in the next town. He couldn’t leave a tool out there all alone.

Rescuing a lost tool
Heart 0 Comment 0

Coming into the town of Morganfield, we saw a long conveyor across the road. It went on as far as we could see in both directions. We later learned it was a coal conveyor from the mine to the Ohio River, but is no longer used. We had a long conversation with a woman in Morganfield about the coal industry in the area and the recent rise of non-union mines.

Coal conveyer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coal conveyer
Heart 0 Comment 0

Team A took off on their state adding expedition at Morganfield and Kerry and I took our time riding the last 15 miles to Sturgis. The route was really nice with good roads and almost no traffic. We passed on farm where it was swimming day for the cattle.

Farm view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great cycling road
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is very hot today. Great day for a swim!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 3,333 miles (5,364 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0