Day 46 Irving, NY to Queenston, Ontario - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2016

Day 46 Irving, NY to Queenston, Ontario

We made it to Canada! For 46 days when asked "Where are you going?" we said, "Canada" Now, we need a new answer. I guess it will be "Back to Florida."

It was cool and overcast when we started out this morning, but it turned into another beautiful day. I almost hate to keep saying what great weather we're having, because I know it has to change, but we have had just wonderful cycling weather almost every day. The first 25 miles of today's route took us along the shore of Lake Erie into south Buffalo.

Lake Shore Drive New York
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for a break at library there and met a woman tending a small park next door. It was a park named after Tim Russert, who was raised in the neighborhood. We had a nice talk with her about the park and her work taking care of it. She was interested in hearing all about our trip, as well.

Tim Russert Garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Russert Garden
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride through Buffalo was uneventful. There wasn't much traffic on a Saturday and the roads were bike friendly.

We had to ask a couple of people for help getting to the right place to ride the bikes over the Peace Bridge into Ontario, but that went fine. We went quickly through the bike/pedestrian facility at customs. The customs officer had fun looking at our jerseys and reading all the states we were traveling through. When Team A came through behind us, he tried to name all the states for them without looking at the map on their jerseys.

Once in Ontario, we had more traffic, but there are lots of bikes on the roads and the motorists are patient and courteous. We stopped at Niagara Falls. The falls are still awesome to see, but the crowds are thick and the tacky tourist businesses are thriving. It was nice to get through that area and into Queenston, where we will be for two nights. It is quiet and peaceful here with no crowds, but lots of cyclists out on the roads and bike trails.n

Niagara Parkway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Niagara River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tree full ofbirds
Heart 0 Comment 0
River above the falls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horseshoe Falls
Heart 0 Comment 0
American Falls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tacky tourist picture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Obligatory picture of the guys
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made a detour to a local market for deli food for dinner and were enjoying it on the porch outside our motel rooms. Another guest stopped to talk and in the course of the conversation we asked about local wineries and mentioned how sorry we were not to have gotten some for our dinner tonight. A few minutes later, returned with a gift of a bottle of a delicious Rioja. Thank you, fellow guest. We really appreciate your generosity and we loved being to properly toast our arrival in Canada!

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 2,288 miles (3,682 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0