Day 34 Frederick to Sharpsburg - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2016

Day 34 Frederick to Sharpsburg

Today we played "beat the rain" and won! The forecast was for a 50% chance of rain by noon. We decided to leave early and try to arrive dry. About 32 miles of our route today was on the C&O Canal towpath. We had been warned that it gets very muddy and soft in the rain. We were very lucky. Our ride on the C&O was good. We had no problem with the trail surface. Both the bikes handled very well - in the skillful control of our captains, of course.

We crossed three aqueducts today. The most beautiful was the Catoctin, recently restored with mostly the original stones. we also saw the remnants of a number of locks and several lock houses.

Catoctin Aqueduct
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Harper's Ferry, WV there is a massive stone tunnel through the mountain.

Harpers Ferry railroad tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's best moment was meeting another tandem couple on the trail. We had to stop to walk the bikes around a large tree limb that was blocking the trail.

Path obstructed
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just as we got around the obstruction, we saw another tandem. It was fellow Crazy Guys Charlie and Sue Johnson on their way from their home in Iowa to visit their son in Manassas, VA. We had a good time getting acquainted in the middle of the trail and sharing a few stories. Safe travels to you, Charlie and Sue!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Trio of touring tandems
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 1,717 miles (2,763 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0