Day 15 Shallotte to Wilmington - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2016

Day 15 Shallotte to Wilmington

It was another enjoyable day of bicycle touring. We left Shallotte a few minutes after 7 - and headed to Southport. North Carolina has good roads for cycling with wide shoulders and marked bike routes. It is really a welcome change after South Carolina. We told Team A that overall North Carolina was a much better state than South Carolina. We even bragged that it was the more prosperous of the two, then we rode past this home.

North Carolina dwelling
Heart 0 Comment 0

We shouldn't get too arrogant about North Carolina. But it does have the best barbeque!

We stopped for a break at a brand new Lowe's Foods (yes, related to the other Lowe's and both started in my mother's hometown of North Wilkesboro, NC). We would like to ask Publix to please add this amenity to their carts.

Publix - please do this! Cupholders on shopping carts at Lowe's Foods
Heart 0 Comment 0

We met another touring cyclist today. He was changing a tire on the side of the road and we stopped to see if he needed any help. He was riding from New Jersey to Charleston. We talked to him for just a minute and didn't get his name.

At Southport, we caught the ferry to Fort Fisher. As on all the North Carolina coastal ferries we've ridden, the children went to the back to feed the seagulls.

Feeding the seagulls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gulls around ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cape Fear River ferry crossing
Heart 0 Comment 0

After leaving the ferry at Fort Fisher, we visited the North Carolina Aquarium.
It was interesting to see the exhibits. I loved the tank of beautiful jellyfish.

Albino alligator
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jellyfish
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seahorses
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving the aquarium, it was very dark and there was thunder in the area. We decided we could probably outrun the storm and make it to our hotel south of Wilmington in time to stay dry. The last several miles were right along the Cape Fear river with some nice views. We'll be heading into downtown Wilmington on the same road in the morning.

View of Cape Fear River
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made it about 15 minutes before a heavy thunderstorm hit. That changed our plans to walk to a nearby restaurant to eat. Instead we ordered pizza and played Spades. It was captains against stokers and captains won this one.

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 902 miles (1,452 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0