Day 14 Conway to Shallotte, NC - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2016

Day 14 Conway to Shallotte, NC

We had a great start this morning. We got to sleep in until 6AM!! After breakfast at the hotel, pedals up was at 7:30AM. There were more miles of nasty South Carolina rumble strips and moderately heavy traffic, but we didn't have any problems. At mile 30, we entered North Carolina. As much as I love Florida, there is still something special about being "home".

Someone has to take the picture!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering North Carolina
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was fun cycling through Calabash to Ocean Isle. Kerry and I saw a few places we remembered, but a lot has changed in 17 years. We rode across the causeway to Ocean Isle Beach and cycled around there for awhile, then rode up to Shallotte. The causeway has a very low wall along the side and it was a little scary thinking about how easy it would be to be forced over the side by a car. We were fine, of course and we weren't the only cyclists on the causeway.

Ocean Isle Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we left Ocean Isle, we rode up to Shallotte and checked in at the EconoLodge. We have been so fortunate to be able to get into our rooms before the posted check in times. Right next door to the hotel is a Smithfield Barbeque. It isn't Stamey's, but they had good pulled pork with proper sauce and Brunswick stew, so we were happy. Team A got to experience barbeque the way it should be. Kerry and I will probably make another visit there this evening if they get their Diet Coke refilled. True story - Kerry drank them out of DC at lunch!

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 849 miles (1,366 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0