Day 100 Crawfordville to Perry - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2016

Day 100 Crawfordville to Perry

We are really in the home stretch now. We have only two more cycling days until we, Team S, get home. We took sort of a circuitous route today in order to visit Wakulla Springs State Park and also to ride down to St. Marks, near the place Hurricane Hermine made landfall last week.

The courtyard at the Best Western we stayed in last night had lots of butterflies. I had to try to get a good picture.

Butterfly in Best Western courtyard
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first stop this morning was Wakulla Springs State Park. There is an old lodge built in 1937, a swimming area at the spring head and also some walking trails. It would be a nice place to spend the night. We've eaten in the restaurant there and thought it was very good.

Spring
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spring run
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grounds
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wakulla Springs State Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lodge
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw some minor flooding remaining along the park entrance road.

Wakulla Springs State Park flooding
Heart 0 Comment 0

After visiting Wakulla Springs, we took a short ride to connect with the Tallahassee St. Marks Trail. It's a 16 mile rail trail that is very nice. We rode down to the end at St. Marks to see how it looked after Hurricane Hermine. The trail itself had been completely cleared and cleaned up. The town of St. Marks didn't have much obvious damage. A lot of clean up has been there, too. Whether state or municipal employees, or volunteers, people seem to have done a great job responding to Hermine and getting all the roads clear and property cleaned up.

Tallahassee St. Marks Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tallahassee St. Marks Trail terminus
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent most of the day riding on US 98 again. We're not on the waterfront now, but it's a good cycling route with an adequate shoulder. There were a fair number of logging trucks today, with careful and courteous drivers.

US 98 east of Crawfordville
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a break at a convenience store and met this charming girl. Roxie was cute and playful and absolutely expected to be the center of attention. We gave her plenty.

Roxie 9 weeks old
Heart 0 Comment 0
She loved attention
Heart 0 Comment 0

Team A, you know

Team A
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 miles (119 km)
Total: 4,844 miles (7,796 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0