Day 37: East Canaan, CT to East Windsor, CT - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2017

Day 37: East Canaan, CT to East Windsor, CT

Our start today was delayed by an unexpected rainstorm. At 8AM the local forecast showed a nearly 0% chance of rain, but at 9AM it was raining. We decided to wait and see what happened and by 10:15AM, the rain had stopped and there was a little blue visible in the sky. We loaded up (putting the rain covers on) and left the B&B a little after 10:30AM

Lodging Note: If you are doing the Atlantic Coast Route and using indoor lodging, we don’t recommend the Locust Tree B&B in East Canaan. Our shared bathroom appeared not to have been cleaned since the last guest and breakfast was pretty poor compared to all the other B&B's we've stayed in.

Our magic rain covered worked perfectly and there was no more rain the rest of the day. It warmed up enough to take off our long pants and jackets by noon and we started to see some sunshine. The route was through rural northwestern Connecticut.

We passed this large dairy farm just outside East Canaan. Their milk goes to Cabot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were some nice little towns along the way. In Colebrook, we turned onto this aptly named road:

Smith Hill Road - aptly names road for us!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode along by a scenic rocky creek called Sandy Brook.

Sandy Brook
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sandy Brook
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Riverton, we had lunch at Sweet Pea’s. It was outstanding. On the way out, we spoke to a guy sitting on a chair near the back door of the restaurant. I asked if he were one of the cooks and told him how much we enjoyed the food. It turns out that he was the chef/owner, Paul Panettiere. I guess he must be the “Sweet Pea”.

Sweet Pea's Restaurant in Riverton, CT
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paul Pannetiere, the P's in Sweet Pea's
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just after leaving the restaurant, we came upon a volunteer fireman setting out cones to block the road because a tree had fallen and knocked down lines. We were glad to find out he was a local cyclist. He gave us alternate route directions we could trust and we had no trouble getting back on route.

Farmington River - this was from our detour
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode across the Saville Dam and got a beautiful view of both the Barkhamsted Reservoir and Lake McDonough. There were several cars and motorcycles parked at the dam's overlook as well as two people flying drones.

Part of Saville Dam. Barkhamsted Reservoir is in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake McDonough below Saville Dam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A woman was using this drone over the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Immediately after crossing the dam, we had our second, and toughest, climb of the day. The part of Connecticut we've ridden through so far is lush and green with beautiful views, but it is very hilly. However, we haven't had any "four on the floor" hills since we entered the state, for which we are grateful.

We finally made it to our friends’ home in East Windsor about 5:45PM. We’ll be here for three nights and are looking forward to our break!

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 1,706 miles (2,746 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0