Day 21: Midlothian,VA to Thornburg, VA - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2017

Day 21: Midlothian,VA to Thornburg, VA

Our total mileage reached 1000 miles today!

We started out today by riding around the western suburbs of Richmond. The route was good and we had no problems with traffic. We went through some very upscale neighborhoods. After 20 miles, we were back in a rural area. It was nice to have frequent stops today after the long distances between breaks we've had for the last couple of days. We were able to stop every 10-15 miles which made for a comfortable riding day for us. The terrain is hilly, but nothing really steep and we had no issues with the hills.

We weren't in a picture taking mood today and didn't take any at all until the last stop in Chilesburg. We pulled into the parking lot of Caroline Market and Kerry immediately recognized it from a stop with Team A last year. The deli clerk, Theresa, was just amazed at our trip. She kept telling other employees and customers what we were doing. We appreciate your enthusiasm, Theresa. It helps keep us motivated.

Remember this place, Team A?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Theresa and Kerry
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving the store, we followed our planned route which was different from the way we went last year, even though we're staying at the same hotel in Thornburg. We went by a field that at first appeared to hold two deer eating grass. When we got closer, we realized they were two recently shorn llamas.

Recently shorn llamas
Heart 0 Comment 0

The best picture of the day didn't get taken. About four miles from the hotel, the road turned into deeply rutted dirt and gravel. In utter frustration, Kerry said we would just walk it. A few steps later, that plan failed. The road ended at a small river over which there was no bridge! At this point, Kerry was in no mood to have me take a picture. We turned around and rode back up about 1/2 mile to our last turn. From there we found an easy way into town on US 1. The whole re-route only added about a mile to today's ride.

Tomorrow we will be in Woodbridge, VA, just outside Washington. Kerry's sister and her family are meeting us there. We haven't seen them since we were here last summer, so we're looking forward to that.

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 1,046 miles (1,683 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0