Day 5 Mayo - A Little Two Far - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2019

Day 5 Mayo

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a long ride today, so we got motivated to get on the road by 9AM.  It was chilly for the Floridians in our little group, but we toughed it out with only minimal whining.  The first part of the route took us up the Gulf coast through the Tide Swamp.  It was a very pretty ride.  Kerry and I were in our accustomed spot, seeing our companions ahead in the distance.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at Keaton Beach and walked out on the pier.  It was very cloudy and cool and none of the water birds we usually see there were around.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After Keaton Beach, we stopped for lunch at Walter B's, which is a lunch counter in a convenience store.  We had a great lunch and the friendliest cooks and servers ever.  One of their menu items was "fresh acre peas".  None of us knew what that was, so the cook brought us all free samples.  They were delicious!  Kerry went back and bought us another bowl of them, which we enjoyed with some pepper sauce made there.  It was so good.

Our next stop was the Florida Forest Capitol Museum and Cracker Homestead.  They had interesting displays about the history of logging in Florida and an original "cracker" house from 1864 which had been moved to the site.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for a break at a convenience store after we lift the museum and Kerry made quite a friend. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We're at a nice AirBNB house in Mayo tonight doing laundry and preparing for the possibility of another rainy ride tomorrow. JS

We definitely were in rural Florida today.  Thankfully, the majority of the drivers were  respectful and gave us room. One funny event was when a 7 pound dog came running out and chased us.  We were sure we could out pedal it, but it didn't give up until we got over 20.5 mph!! Happy that it didn't cause us to topple! FG

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 434 miles (698 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0