To Pieve Do Trebbio - The Tuscan sun when it's in our faces really shows ...... - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2023

To Pieve Do Trebbio

.We woke up to a to a mix of sun and cloudy skies and were excited that the weather looked to be fine for our ride today. The breakfast area in the hotel was strangely almost empty at 8 am but,  being familiar with all the offerings, we were quickly able to  organize our breakfast. We were on our bikes riding the two km to the train station by 9 am.

The train station in Parma. Many bikes are in the stands.
Heart 6 Comment 0
This group looks to be getting ready for a weekend of hiking. This man is carrying the supplies.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Using the ticket kiosk we successfully purchased  two passenger fares and  bike tickets for the next train  to Modena which is only about a 30 minute ride away from Parma. Everything went according to  plan and soon we were cycling on well marked bike lines through and out of the busy city. We linked up with the EV7 - Euro Velo Central Europe Route - and rode it for the next 17km to Vignola. It was a fantastic, dedicated cycle path which was one of the nicest interurban cycling routes we have experienced in Italy.

As we neared the town of Vignola, we could see worrisome clouds gathering on the hills in front of us and a few drops of rain began to fall. We put on our rain jackets and pannier covers and had only cycled a short distance further when we knew we needed to find substantial cover as it was becoming clear that this was not just a passing light shower. The thunder and lightning were really a dead give away!  Fortunately, not far away were some warehouse buildings where we found a large covered area that was used for the loading and unloading of food for restaurants. We watched their operation for the next hour or so while keeping our eyes on the horizon and the the hills in front of us. We were optimistic that the clouds would lift and we could resume the ride.

Along the EV7 to Vignola.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A very nice path enjoyed by a number of cyclist and it is sunny!
Heart 5 Comment 0
The EV 7 - our route and guidance signs for today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We are aiming for those hills. The clouds are building.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is one of the wonderful art displays that you can stumble upon as you ride the backroads.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We believe that a man spent an amazing number of hours on this labour of love. Unfortunately he died a few years ago as noted by a nearby memorial. The small trees and bushes are now reclaiming the area.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsA pity they're letting it fall into ruin.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Not so tall man for scale. It is a delightful place.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Cycle touring is not always glamorous!! We hung out here for more than hour waiting for the rain to pass.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGlad you found a place to hide from the rain!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

At one point we were anxious to move on and we thought we could venture out but it was really just a false start as we were soon  looking for cover again. This time we found a office furniture supplier with covered   parking and spent some time looking at the puddles in front of us to judge departure opportunities. A quick 15 minutes later we again resumed our travels and after a quick stop for a sandwich and coffee in Vignola we were heading out of town across the Panaro River and starting up into the hills. The weather was picking up, in fact warm and sunny at times, but we did have to take refuge twice under trees to hide from heavy showers before we reached our destination of Pieve Do Tribbio.

Just leaving Vignola and crossing the Panaro River, another tributary to the Po.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Take the next right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Up! Nice quiet road.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Threatening clouds never too far.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The hills are so green and beautiful.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Beautiful landscapes with very threatening clouds.
Heart 4 Comment 0
But, every so often, things brightened up for brief periods.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Again..
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just about at the top here on route to the small town of Guiglia.
Heart 5 Comment 0
View from Guiglia. I think Modena is out there somewhere. We have 4 more kilometres to go.
Heart 3 Comment 0

 We were primarily following the EV 7 route through the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines. Along this route the towns are quiet  and finding places to stay overnight in advance  was not always easy. A few route adjustments were made in order to find spots that were within our planned cycling distances. Our destination today was well off the beaten track but very near a number of popular hiking and mountain biking areas.  We stayed at the Agriturismo Casa Rastelli which was about 2 kms off the highway. The hosts only offer one room for the night and also provide  dinner as there are no restaurants in this very small rural community of about a half a dozen farmhouses. It was a wonderful experience!

Arriving at Pieve Do Tribbio, we were immediately taken aback by this large rock structure in Sassi di Roccamalatina Regional Park!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our B&B for the night.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Many many cats live with a lady next door - this may have been a quarter of the ones we watched enter the barn! We were told she has many cows too.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonMy kind of place!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry DevlinNot easier to count cats than turtles - they move around too much!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Another shot of Sassi di Roccamalatina Regional Park in the late evening from the deck of our home for the night.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Keith Adams"A Room With (QUITE) A View", indeed...
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

We arrived just shortly before 6 pm due to our multiple delays on route - but we were dry! Our host met us at the door and assisted with storing our bikes while telling us about our choices of a home cooked meal made by his wife. We both chose the homemade pasta with bolognaise sauce and shared a locally made meat and cheese tray. Dessert was a brownie with freshly made  mascarpone. Everything was delicious!

We are the only guests at dinner tonight.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Pasta Bolognese - YUM!!
Heart 6 Comment 0
We had to wait for our dessert while our hostess whipped the mascarpone! Well worth it!
Heart 6 Comment 0

Our room was just down stairs and after dinner we called it the end of a really great day of cycling.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 214 km (133 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonWhat a great place you found to stay and a great meal! Let’s hope the weather improves soon. We have a layover day today which is lucky because it’s pouring outside.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonIt’s easy to see that you’re not so far from us. We’ve been experiencing the same sort of turbulence for the past several days. Ne minute you’re fine, the next you’re hurrying to find shelter.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
James GallingerFantastic adventure. Happy Mother's Day to Pat!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
David MathersAmazing you were able to arrive dry after a day of wet weather. Weather conditions are sketchy here too on the Amalfi coast so it looks like we’ll probably have to hang out under cover along the way too!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago