A day in Parma - The Tuscan sun when it's in our faces really shows ...... - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2023

A day in Parma

We arrived in Parma yesterday in a heavy drizzle and were very happy to see a drying trend today. Yesterday's weather would have made it difficult to fully appreciate this wonderful city.

We started the day with our first  hotel breakfast on the tour. It was a simple affair, but had all the key ingredients that we enjoy, a good wholesome muesli, a nice natural yogurt and multiple bread choices. In addition there was the parmesan cheese and hams for which Parma is famous.  Of course, there was also bottomless espressos for Scott.

We headed out the door with no real plan for our tourist day in Parma except we knew that we were staying in the core of the old district so our standard wandering around somewhat aimlessly approach was deployed. We tend to go with the flow and it worked well in Parma, with all the key sights having elaborate descriptions in English. We had not gotten far out the door when a few drops of rain sent Pat back to our room for another layer and a hotel umbrella. Being on the third floor and our love for stair climbing over an elevator added one more trip to the many ups and downs we did today.

We spent the next few hours marveling at the sights and architecture of Parma. It is a very approachable town with many interesting buildings including multiple churches, piazzas, towers and streetscapes  in a relatively small historic area.

Piazza Garibaldi is the center of Parma and just a few steps from Hotel Button where we are staying.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The church of Francesco del Prato was built in the mid 1200`s. It was turned into a prison for political prisoners by Napoleon's army in 1810. It remained a prison for 200 years. It is now being completely renovated.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The church of Saint Francesco del Prato is undergoing a complete renovation and was reopened to the public in 2021. The church appears to be fully functioning today with a number of temporary features. It is very interesting seeing an old building in this stage of renovation and it gives you a real sense of the scale and expense of these projects.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Palazzo della Pilotta is home to a couple of museums and an art gallery. We encountered a short shower here. I am quite amazed that small regular sized bricks are used as the building blocks for such massive structures.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Parma is split by the Parma River which is a tributary to the Po river. There are several bridge crossing connecting the two haves of the city. We explored the far side of the bridge in the afternoon on our bikes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Using a violin in an ingenious design in a children`s play area. The use of a broken string is also neat addition.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Queen Patricia on the stage at the children`s park.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The clock tower.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful, intricate designs.
Heart 6 Comment 0
This picture was taken in the Parma post office.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Monument to Giuseppe Verdi. I had to include this thinking that if some Floridians were to see this, it would also be banned along with the statue of David. The monument has 28 statues, many naked, depicting the characters of Verdi's operas.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This mom is picking up her two sons from school. An older boy, not pictured here, is on his own bike. There are many people on bikes in Parma and almost no one wears a helmet.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI wonder how much benefit that wind screen actually provides, but it's stylish!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Very popular bread serving in Parma - Torta Fritta. Traditional fried bread. So good but questionable health benefits.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Now that is a deli!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another angle of the deli.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pat in Parma, umbrella in hand but never used.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rich FrasierMust be one of those magic umbrellas. If you take it with you, it never rains. We have one of those...
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
In Parma
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Oritorio di san Tiburzio. Loooking at it, we called it the unloved churched. Built in 1722, it changed hands many times over its history and is now proclaimed as ¨no longer a place of worship.¨ Interesting to see the natural decay of building materials over decades and millenniums.
Heart 4 Comment 0
There are many older model bikes in Parma. I love the articulating mechanical brake systems predating wires on these vintage models.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Parma Penthouse!
Heart 5 Comment 0
The San Giovanni Battista Baptistery built between 1196 and 1216 The octagonal structure is made from pink Verona marble.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fabbriceria della Basilica Cathedral of Parma.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Counting the dogs?
Heart 4 Comment 0

After a full morning of walking the old section of Parma we returned to our room for a bit of a break and then walked to a nearby sandwich shop for lunch. At first we thought  they served hamburgers but later discovered that Clinica del Panino - Da Walter  was  well known for it`s large offering of sandwiches at good prices that has been around since the 8o`s. As we entered, a young couple out front told us about the menu and that the number 16 was a favourite - Pesto alla tartara with olives, onions and a special hot sauce. Scott being adventurous tried that one while Pat enjoyed something a bit simpler.

We returned to the hotel and again up the three flights of stairs to get ready for a short bike ride through the park and the far side of the river. Just a short distance over the river, Scott found that it was colder than he had dressed for and it was his turn to return to the room for some long pants and another layer. When the sun was out, which was not that frequent, it was warm but otherwise it was cooler cloudy day.

After exploring the park and university lands we stumbled upon a beer garden that was just setting up. We grabbed a table in the sun on the Piazza Guido Picelli. Scott talked craft beers with the proprietor of Brewort, a local brewer.

Turtles on the log in Ducal park also looking for sun.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Scott AndersonWow! Almost two dozen!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltEuropean pond turtles
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/39867-Emys-orbicularis
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry DevlinI lost count, counting the turtles. The dogs were easier to count!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Riding west into the afternoon sun on Strata Massimo D`Azeglio.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Setting up the kegs behind the scenes at the Brewart craft beer kiosk. They have four offerings today including a couple of IPAs.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Barry DevlinA watched beer keg never fills!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Open for business.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Dinner was beer and tapas in at a very local bar and then we returned to the hotel, locked up the bikes and climbed the three flights of stairs one last time for the day.

Tomorrow we take a quick train ride to Modena where we begin our ride south and our first step into the  Alpenines.

Getting near the end of our day in Parma.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 164 km (102 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
James GallingerFantastic following your trip. Enjoying the beautiful pics and the commentary
Reply to this comment
11 months ago