In Lucca - The Tuscan sun when it's in our faces really shows ...... - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2023

In Lucca

¨ Breakfast included¨ was not part of the program at our hotel, the Dimora Altemura, in Lucca.  This was far from a deal breaker for us. After being on the road for four weeks, a change from the morning rituals and breakfast menu was actually welcomed. As luck would have it, a wonderful bistro was right next door and we happily ordered a doppio espresso, a cappuccino and shared an egg and tomato panini. All were of excellent quality.

Today we decided that we would take our bikes out in the morning and ride entirely around the outside walls of Lucca and then enter the walls and ride completely around Lucca on top of the wall. The ride was really not long, but the town has a large perimeter. From Wikipedia, the walls of Lucca, ¨are among the best preserved Renaissance fortifications in Europe, and at 4 kilometers and 223 meters in circumference they are the second largest intact example of a fully walled Renaissance city. ¨  The walls were conceived as a deterrent and but never saw military use. As battle methods improved they were no longer suitable as protection but the citizens of Lucca maintained the walls because they enjoyed them. We thought that they were pretty neat too!

Leaving our hotel. Look no panniers for a change! You can see the Cupido bistro next door.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Map of Lucca. It is a big area inside the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice tree lined bike and pedestrian path surrounding the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a large grass buffer between the walls and the surrounding cycle path. A crew was cutting the grass when we were there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Porta Santa one of the main gates into Lucca.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice views while riding on top of the walls.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lucca has many appealing places to stop and take a break.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Lucca.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kids on bikes. It is a big road on the top of the walls so there is room for everyone.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were many high school aged kids on tours of Lucca. They were taking over the bike rental here.
Heart 2 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyThis is impressive, start them young.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

For lunch we went to a restaurant in Piazza Cittadella and were pleased to get a table right beside the street and watch the pedestrian and cycle traffic going through the town. We marveled at the speed at which the cyclists swerved around people and that no one got hit or even annoyed. Our service was very slow but we did not mind a bit. No rush to go anywhere. After lunch we rode through Lucca again and then back to our hotel just outside the gates for an afternoon siesta as well as a further planning session.

 It is getting busy here in Italy - June 02  will be a public Holiday -Festa della Repubblica -  On June 2, 1946 Italians voted  to get rid of the monarchy and for the country to become a republic. Hotel rooms  are dwindling and the costs  are increasing.  But sitting out on our lovely garden veranda sipping a coke and beer, we may finally have the final week of our tour figured out.

A busy place for lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pat`s choice. Smoked salmon and eggs. Scott had avocado toast (we already own a house lol) with scrambled eggs but too much was gone before the food pics were taken. They were both excellent.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Mike AylingI thought that comment about avocado toast was Australian, wonder where it actually originated?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonLooks delicious!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
At least at this time of year, cyclists can thread their way through the pedestrians on the narrow streets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Michele in Foro. The façade is from the 13th century, with a large series of sculptures and inlays which many were remade in the 19th century.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A closer shot of the façade detail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Detail at the top of Church of St. Michele in Foro. It really is exquisite but note the weed growing on the roof!
Heart 2 Comment 0

For dinner we returned into the walled town via a different pedestrian access  point and discovered many new streets and piazzas. You could spend many days in Lucca and discover a new area every time you entered the town. We settled in at Des Arts di Paolo Laner in piazza San Giusto.  We sat outside in the warm night. Pat had a lasagna and Scott a terrific vegetable soup and we finished with a chocolate mousse with fresh strawberries.  

The tunnels are kind of spooky at night!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chiesa di San Giusto a Lucca.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trying out the Classic Italian Aperol Spritz.
Heart 2 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyLove the Italian Aperol Spritzs. And I like that in Italy they usually serve you something to nibble on with your drink. So civilized !
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The shops are all closed and the streets of Lucca are quiet now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Home for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cathedral of Saint Martin and bell tower in the moon light.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another angle before we headed home.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We really enjoyed our day in Lucca. It is a very attractive and unique town in Tuscany and worth visiting again. Tomorrow we are back on the bikes -  heading toward the coast to the massive beach area at Marina di Pietrasanta.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 11 km (7 miles)
Total: 764 km (474 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWe also bicycled around the walls and really enjoyed it!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago